View Single Post
Old 03-03-2006, 09:02 PM   #23
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Sadly I have a pretty downer story to tell in regards to Homeboy's original post:

I was dating a wonderful girl for a long time. About 18 months. When we first met her mom had already been diagnosed with melanoma, but they'd received the news that it had spread to her brain.

Instead of going the medicine and treatment route that most do, her mom became literally obsessed like no one I've ever seen with the alternative medicine route.

They were being gouged hand over fist by numerous "Quacks" throughout the Utah valley and several out of the state that they'd never even met who were doing the same for "potions, pills," and all kinds of crap.

Instead of trying to get better, she was convinced that she would be healed by going on incredibly dramatic diets, coffee enema's, you name it,,,the whole kit 'n' kaboodle.

It got to the point of her beliefs that she and most of her family I might add became irrationally hostile towards Doctors and real medicine. They became enraged at the mere mention of going the advanced treatment route like chemo and other things. One time my ex-fiance/girlfriend and I got into a lengthy debate about the effects of reality versus alternative and she got major emotional about it. She had asked my opinion one night one of her own pretty bad medical problems with endometriosis and wanted to use these snake charmers...and that's how our debate began.

Since it was their family and her mom, I backed off and while quietly not agreeing with anything about how they went on with her treatment, I verbally and outwardly supported her and the family to the best of my ability.

Her mom eventually passed away last April. Now, while it's true that her mom may have passed away regardless, I for the life of me just couldn't understand their approach, and now more than ever I'm very anti- Witch Doctors who conveniently show up with a massively expensive therapy.

The husband, who is a Professor at BYU and a great guy, is now saddled with debt so high from those treatments that it's scary.

These snake charmers are criminals.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote