Thread: The Stand
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I'm still not sure how I feel about the book. King's post-apocalyptic vision is intriguing...but when all was said and done after reading 1,141 pages..it just felt like something was still missing...if that's possible.
I agree. I like Stephen King - I find his novels very imaginative - but something about The Stand just felt unresolved at the end. The reader has to wade through hundreds of pages of semi-repetitive plot to reach some sort of climax. . . . but I spent the last few pages trying to figure out what had actually happened. The explanation dried up.

King's vision of the apocalypse is creepy and fascinating - reminds me of those church lessons that used to encourage food storage to sustain life as civilization crumbled (now, we're supposed to store food in case of job loss, illness, natural disaster, etc.). Too bad he's come back to this imagery in both his Dark Tower series and in 2006's Cell. I guess one can only have so many ideas.

In general, I like the first 80% of King's books, and then grow a little bored and disappointed towards the end. One exception: Bag of Bones (pretty recent) which has some really interesting character development.