View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 05:35 PM   #26
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Let me ask this (I'm sure it's less than 50/50 anyone will have the gumption to answer). Given what we know about Mormon culture and respect for chain of comand even today, and the size of the Mormon community at that time and Brigham Young's stature and presence in it, how much sense does it make that the actual perpetrators of the crime did this on their own initiative?

Not wanting to shrink from your 50/50 challenge, I will gingerly dip my toe in and respond.

Certainly BY's leadership style was "top down"; he expected nothing less than complete obedience - his tolerance threshold was non-existent. The question in my mind is how much day-to-day control did he exert over events occurring 200 miles away? Given what we do know, how would today's justice system treat BY? Would he be charged with conspiracy?

One cause and effect element of MMM that is not fully understood is the assassination of P.P.Pratt by his wife's legal husband in Arkansas, and her subsequent arrival in SLC on 7/24/1857. History documents that her recount of the events inflamed the Saints and there was no love lost for anyone from Arkansas. Clearly there are more subtleties to MMM than the attack itself. From my idealistic perspective there is the possibility a conspiracy occurred - I just do not have enough credible information to make an objective assessment.

Last edited by Requiem; 08-13-2007 at 10:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote