Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
Abortion may be distasteful, but it is not murder. A fetus is not a living human being. How can you kill something that is not technically alive?
Lots of technical jargon to be defined here.

living human being = ? Do we take the old trimester system? Do we look at the history of how early a fetus can be born and still survive?

not technically alive = ? Now we'll start splitting biology hairs.

I do not believe that the abortion question is a matter of biology and timing, it is a matter of intent and circumstance. Just as it is wrong to kill a man with "evil" intent, I believe it is wrong to kill a fetus with "evil" intent.

I think we are mixing the Mormon take on abortion with the U.S. Legal take on abortion. Never the twain shall meet.
It is all a matter of degree. Abortion is distasteful because it ends a potential life. The closer that potential is to being realized, the more distasteful it becomes. If you take the morning after pill a few hours after conception, that is obviously different than aborting a fetus a few hours before delivery. That is precisely why this is such a devisive issue -- everybody's idea of when it becomes TOO distasteful differs. But to call abortion murder is to confuse the issue. It is not murder.
The one problem you have legally with this declaration is, at some point, the law will recognize the fetus as viable. Example, if a pregnant mom is murdered, don't same states try the perp for a double murder?

Aborting a last trimester fetus may arise to the level of murder. I usually don't resort to those terms, but it may be legally inaccurate to state abortion is never murder.