View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 05:23 PM   #18
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE
1- You've misused the word "endorses" here. To say that the punishment for one is less than the punishment for another is hardly a statement endorsing a practice.
what am i missing here? do you think i wrote that i said the lord endorses abortion? thats so not what i wrote....
Sorry... I wasn't reading carefully. I'm supposed to be paying attention in class.

Quote:
circumstances when killing is involved are hardly considered. except for examples of self defense the stance of the church is actually quite cut and dry. you kill someone, you are not part of our organization. contrast that with what happens to a woman when an abortion is performed and its easy to see the position of the church.....
What do you mean by "not a part of our organization?" No access to the temple? No access to meetings? No access to the sacrament? The standard applied to abortion is very similar to the standard applied in the case of killing someone. Contrary to what it sounds like you believe (I could be wrong) you can come back to being a member in full standing after having killed someone.

Quote:
abortion is not murder....
Again, you're interchanging murder with killing. Just as there are many things to consider when looking at a case of one person killing another, there are many things to consider when looking at the case of a woman "killing" her unborn child.

Quote:
lets look at homosexuality. the church is completely black and white on the issue, no gay sex, no gay marriage, no gay partners, and if you have one of those, no lds church for you.
Again, what does "no lds church for you mean?" It's not like they're run out on a rail and told to never return. The church policy is actually quite the opposite.

Quote:
if the church is part of our moral compass, why has not the church issued formal statements concerning abortion? if it really was murder, would the church not take a stance and say, abortion is wrong and if you participate you are not part of us?
They have to a certain extent. It's a question in the baptismal interview, temple recommend interview, etc...

One thing point where I think we disagree is this concept of "no church for you." That's simply not how it works. The church welcomes everyone to repent and "join the fold." Participation in certain ordinances may be suspended, but the church does not ask people to leave and not return.
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote