View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 02:36 PM   #28
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
I would be fine with this, if I felt it to be the LDS church's true position. If, indeed, the LDS church has divested itself from temporal endeavors, why in the world does it continue to run multiple multi-million dollar businesses and own and administer several colleges and universities? If it's left behind the doctrines of gathering Israel and redeeming and building Zion, shouldn't there be some type of announcement?

Sure, the church of Joseph Smith and today's LDS church are very different (they don't even have the same name). But why wouldn't intellectualism "fit with the mission of the modern church"? Have the intellectual teachings/musings of early LDS leaders been discredited? I doubt it, judging by the way LDS venerate their early members.

What I'm so clumsily trying to say is that it's a mixed message. Intellectualism seems to be both okay and not okay - depending on the conclusions. This is antithetical to the rationalistic approach.
There is no mixed message. They are, as I said, leaving intellectualism to the intellectuals. The administration of colleges and universities indicates that the church greatly values higher education and scholarship.

The difference is, that scholarship is no longer mixed with ecclesiastical preaching.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote