View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 01:17 AM   #58
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
By this I know that the church is good shape: when the inelegant handling of a choir number counts as a thing of "significant important" to Archaea.
That certainly wasn't Requiem's issue.

She wished to see what to do for a matter that may be insignificant to you, but not to them. She was worried about their souls, you may not be.

It was never an issue of choir music selection, but rather how the approach would appear to new converts coming from a different tradition, one with which you may be unfamiliar. I do not rate myself an expert on African American affairs, and am probably ill-informed about them. And they don't all resonate with me, because I'm not black. Yet, I intellectually acknowledge that they are important to blacks, and if black members are infused with this tradition, then I need to be sensitive to their sensitivities. One area of sensitivity that I have observed is music. In black subculture, music is of vital importance. So as they join the LDS fold and we become part of their communities so that there is no them and us, we need to be more sensitive to this issue. Is that a bad thing?