View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 11:16 PM   #69
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Sorry to ignore the Rocky fight, but I think Archaea sees the issue that troubles me: the LDS church has nothing to offer a homosexual. No chance at temporal happiness, family, or real inclusion into the LDS community. It is in the family relationships that we have that we find our true happiness on earth. Does anyone really disagree with that?

We are telling homosexuals that if they want to be part of the church, they can't participate in the common goal of joy in this lifetime. They have to be patient and wait. Meanwhile, everyone around them gets to experience it (or actually seek it).

I think the question of what causes homosexuality is not important to this issue.

My point is, I don't think heterosexual LDS really appreciate the dilemma facing homosexuals. And frankly, until something changes, they're either going to leave the church or commit suicide. There really are no other palatable options for them.
Can you find a way to reconcile our understanding of the Cosmos and Homosexuality?

We have the historical tradition of simply ignoring it, a la the Primary Presidency of Louise Felt and Mae Anderson, or Heber J. Grant's meeting with a BYU student, but that really didn't address the issue.

I agree with your general characterization that we have it difficult to understand, though I offer there are other discreet groups who may experience similar distress, the homely persons with no chance of marriage, the marriage with the completely frigid partner, the person with dysfunctional genetalia and so forth. So gays are not alone, but that doesn't make their plight easier.