View Single Post
Old 02-12-2006, 04:41 AM   #30
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
I typically don't respond to religious posts, simply because I often find myself at odds with the prevailing thoughts from those who claim to be deeper thinkers on what is posted and I don't want to detract from the topic nor start an argument, but I'll give a bit of my feelings on the topic.

It is my opinion that too many on here casually dismiss the real and legitimate power of faith, while simultaneously ripping into those, whether it be subtle or not, who try to use faith along with fervent prayer and study and then tell them that they aren't able to think for themselves, again whether subtle or not, because they go along or agree with what is being taught in the church.

That is all.
You used too many big words for me to know if you were referring to me. But as I see it, faith is simply recognizing that what you do not know does not affect what you DO know, just as not knowing if a tree is an apple tree or a peach tree does not make it a bush.

Faith can be exercized in respect to 1) what you should know, but don't know yet, or 2) what you should not know yet. We all exercize brand #2 in this life in things as essential as the atonement-- the nature of the suffering of the Savior will remain unknown for the most part, except to those who will go through the same suffering. As for brand 1), it is only sufficient for the moment, and as soon as one is capable of learning, he should. If you don't have a testimony of the book of mormon, for example, but you know your mother does, that may be good enough at first, but at some point, you need to learn it for yourself.

Most of what we've been discussing in this thread is brand #2, though there's plenty that has been said by the leaders of the church that perhaps can be categorized as #1, in my opinion.