cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   ancestry roll call (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9718)

Venkman 07-06-2007 03:36 PM

ancestry roll call

I like this sort of stuff...

What's your racial/ethnic makeup? Are you proud of it? What brought your ancestors to America?

Me:
1/4 German
1/4 Swiss (German speaking)
1/4 English
1/4 Danish

English - Mixed bag. The ideals this country was founded upon are essentially English. But English rulers were oppressors and a-holes.

German/Swiss - ehh <shrugs shoulders>

Danish - Vikings are cool.

I wish I had some Scottish blood. I admire their independent fighting spirit. Plus bagpipes rule. I wouldn't mind a little Cherokee as well to spice things up.

The Church brought 7/8 of me to America. The remainder dates back to Puritan times.

Surfah 07-06-2007 03:45 PM

1/2 English
1/4 Hawaiian
1/8 Japanese
1/8 Chinese

My mother's side was baptized in Yorkshire, England and made the trek with the saints a few generations ago. They settled in Bountiful and then eventually migrated to eastern Idaho.

My father's side was baptized in Hawaii around the turn of the century. Great-great grandparents were full Japanese and Chinese. Ah-puck and Kawashima. They came to Hawaii seeking work in the cane fields. I also, have some Portuguese, my grandmother was a Coelho, but they're the Pollocks of Polynesia so we just as soon not acknowledge it.

FMCoug 07-06-2007 03:48 PM

1/2 English
1/4 Swede
1/4 Mutt (German, Irish, Scottish, Cherokee, who knows what else. This line has been here since before the Revolution)

Venkman 07-06-2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 98307)
1/2 English
1/4 Swede
1/4 Mutt (German, Irish, Scottish, Cherokee, who knows what else. This line has been here since before the Revolution)

Does the mutt side come from appalachia or the south? Seems like everyone down there is scotch irish with a little cherokee mixed in.

FMCoug 07-06-2007 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkman (Post 98324)
Does the mutt side come from appalachia or the south? Seems like everyone down there is scotch irish with a little cherokee mixed in.

Kind of all over. I think most of that line was in Ohio. Though there is some in Kentucky as well. So of the two choices I guess appalachia is more likely. My great grandmother's family moved to Oklahoma in the late 1800's and then went West in the early 1900's (pre dust bowl .. my grandmother was an infant at the time and was born in 1911). But they were dirt poor to the point that they went from Oklahoma to Colorado via covered Wagon. Homesteaded near Colorado Springs and ultimately moved on to CA.

Another interesting note on that line. One of my direct ancestors is Obadiah Allen, first cousin to Ethan Allen of Revolutionary War fame. Obadiah fought as well and my grandma was big into the DAR and genealogy. Which was nice when I joined the church. :)

cougjunkie 07-06-2007 04:13 PM

1/4 Portuguese (my grandparents on my moms side immigrated here from Portugal, believe it or not their last names are Santos)
1/4 Potawatomi indian (my grandfather on my dads side was an indian chief, he married my grandma who is white and was a school teacher on the reservation)
1/4 Polish- my grandma is a pollock through and through
1/4- mutt (french canadian, spanish, dutch)

Venkman 07-06-2007 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 98339)
1/4 Portuguese (my grandparents on my moms side immigrated here from Portugal, believe it or not their last names are Santos)
1/4 Potawatomi indian (my grandfather on my dads side was an indian chief, he married my grandma who is white and was a school teacher on the reservation)
1/4 Polish- my grandma is a pollock through and through
1/4- mutt (french canadian, spanish, dutch)

what part of the country are the Potawatomi indians from?

cougjunkie 07-06-2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkman (Post 98356)

My grandparents lived on a reservation in Kansas, but they are originally from Michigan and Wisconsin.

The Borg 07-06-2007 04:59 PM

1/2 English
1/2 Scandanavian (1/4 Danish & 1/4 Swedish) ...or thereabouts.

jay santos 07-06-2007 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkman (Post 98356)

Potawatomi is the county name for Council Bluffs, Iowa winter's quarters.