cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What is the correct balance between deification of leaders, healthy respect and (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8707)

Archaea 05-30-2007 05:12 PM

What is the correct balance between deification of leaders, healthy respect and

courtesy and disrespect and discourtesy?

Many active members probably border on sanctification and deification. In administrative terms, this makes the leaders' jobs easier. Others can discuss the pitfalls of such a social occurrence.

What is a proper, healthy balance?

I remember the faithful parents of girls I dated in high school, and they planned their whole week around what was announced in sacrament meeting, and really respected the leaders to a point of almost deification.

What is a healthy way of viewing and treating leaders?

Tex 05-30-2007 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 85601)

Many active members probably border on sanctification and deification. In administrative terms, this makes the leaders' jobs easier. Others can discuss the pitfalls of such a social occurrence.

I remember the faithful parents of girls I dated in high school, and they planned their whole week around what was announced in sacrament meeting, and really respected the leaders to a point of almost deification.

Pardon me, but isn't this the question I just asked you?

Archaea 05-30-2007 05:19 PM

No you used the term "annointed" which has a different angle for me.

RockyBalboa 05-30-2007 06:48 PM

Quote:

The continual and in your face style of brow beating of those Apostles of the Lord is overdone by some on here in my opinion.

Personally I think you kinda revel and enjoy it. At least it certainly seems that way.

I rarely see you talk about the good things and good people in the Church. It's constant negativity with you when it comes to Apostles and Church Doctrine, Culture, etc. Are you growing increasingly dis-enfranchised? Because it seems pretty obvious to me that you are.

Archaea 05-30-2007 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 85636)
The continual and in your face style of brow beating of those Apostles of the Lord is overdone by some on here in my opinion.

Personally I think you kinda revel and enjoy it. At least it certainly seems that way.

I rarely see you talk about the good things and good people in the Church. It's constant negativity with you when it comes to Apostles and Church Doctrine, Culture, etc. Are you growing increasingly dis-enfranchised? Because it seems pretty obvious to me that you are.

Do you ever answer a question?

Read the tone of the question and answer, if you desire to set a different tone. Otherwise ignore what you dislike. The nature of your answer just now will engender more of the tone which you claim to dislike. So which is it, you dislike a disrespectful tone or not?

RockyBalboa 05-30-2007 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 85646)
Do you ever answer a question?

Read the tone of the question and answer, if you desire to set a different tone. Otherwise ignore what you dislike. The nature of your answer just now will engender more of the tone which you claim to dislike. So which is it, you dislike a disrespectful tone or not?

Way to avoid what I just asked....lol

Arch you are ALWAYS negative. ALWAYS.

Honestly,,,what is wrong with you that you're ALWAYS being negative towards the church, it's leaders and it's culture? You obviously seem to be disenfranchised by it, and seemingly more so all the time. There's a lot of underlying and obvious contempt in a lot of your criticism towards it. It's pretty obvious to me. I don't understand why one would continue on with something that displeases them so intensely as the church seems with you.

Answer that question and we might have a basis to continue the discussion.

Oh and my response to your question...if you couldn't obviously read between the lines in what I wrote then don't know how more plainly I can spell it out for you. There's a difference between asking questions and then continually expressing contempt for what I've mentioned above. You've gradually displayed a diminishing lack of respect.

ChinoCoug 05-30-2007 07:29 PM

Quote:

that's a good idea. Maybe I should start doing that. That way sacrament meeting is more meaningful.

Tex 05-30-2007 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 85604)
No you used the term "annointed" which has a different angle for me.

Did you just say "annointed," as from the word "to annoy"?

I think you revealed more about how you feel about the leaders of the Church than you intended, Arch. :)

Archaea 05-30-2007 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 85648)
Way to avoid what I just asked....lol

Arch you are ALWAYS negative. ALWAYS.

Honestly,,,what is wrong with you that you're ALWAYS being negative towards the church, it's leaders and it's culture? You obviously seem to be disenfranchised by it, and seemingly more so all the time. There's a lot of underlying and obvious contempt in a lot of your criticism towards it. It's pretty obvious to me. I don't understand why one would continue on with something that displeases them so intensely as the church seems with you.

Answer that question and we might have a basis to continue the discussion.

Oh and my response to your question...if you couldn't obviously read between the lines in what I wrote then don't know how more plainly I can spell it out for you. There's a difference between asking questions and then continually expressing contempt for what I've mentioned above. You've gradually displayed a diminishing lack of respect.

Speaking of the proverbial hyperbole, this post is Exhibit 1.

RockyBalboa 05-30-2007 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 85755)
Speaking of the proverbial hyperbole, this post is Exhibit 1.

You still haven't answered the question.

Feel free anytime,,unless of course you want to provide the usual "I refuse to answer a question who's premise I reject....blah, blah, blah...bullshit, yackety yak,,,"

Why are you ALWAYS negative towards the church, the culture, etc...etc..etc?

I mean you're pretty much negative with just about everything anyway,,,the question still exists.