cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Republicans and the church (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=830)

Cali Coug 12-16-2005 03:01 AM

Republicans and the church

I do find it disturbing that so many Mormon Republicans think the party is ordained of God. That makes having a rational discussion on any political topic very difficult.

I also find it interesting to look back and see how it happened. Under FDR, most Mormons were Democrats. David O McKay was fairly liberal for his time as well. Then came Benson. He was a very politically active apostle, and when he made his statement that you can't be a good Mormon and a Democrat, the tide really shifted. I don't know why so many Mormons take his statement as doctrine but refuse to accept the hundreds of statements to the contrary from LDS officials (including GBH), but that is what happened.

I also think that many LDS people had racist tendencies, and the civil rights movement, sponsored by Democrats, did not go over well at all with them. Then you have the ERA and abortion within a short time period, and that is all she wrote.

Things are so extreme that Harry Reid, the most powerful LDS politician ever, is hated and demeaned by those who should be rooting for him the most- his brethren. I find it sad and dangerous.

tooblue 12-16-2005 03:08 AM

BYU football is ordained of God therefore ......

:P

Cali Coug 12-16-2005 03:20 AM

Well, that one IS true!

:)

il Padrino Ute 12-16-2005 03:27 AM

I think one can be a Demo and a member in good standing...

just as one can be a Republican and a member in good standing.

I choose to be a Republican because it's platform more closely represents my own politcial beliefs. However, I find that both sides have too many politicans who are idiots. When choosing to vote for one over the other, I choose the one who, IMO, is less idiotic.

And why should I support Harry Reid because he is LDS? A statement like that is no different than people hating him for no reason other than he being a Democrat?

MikeWaters 12-16-2005 03:38 AM

I can't think of a single LDS politician that I like. Orrin Hatch, Mitt, Reid.

The other Utah senator I think is decent, but I don't know much about him.

tooblue 12-16-2005 03:41 AM

yah well you're a wacko pinko commie :lol:

RockyBalboa 12-16-2005 04:00 AM

Why do you think Harry Reid is the most powerful LDS politician ever?

I know most, even the LDS Democrats I know, would strongly disagree with that assertion.

I'm curious why you feel that way.

**NOTE** -- This is not me slamming someone for how they feel, just asking WHY they feel that way. Just in case someone reads it wrong.

SoCalCoug 12-16-2005 04:08 AM

Senate minority leader? What LDS politician has been in a greater position of power?

il Padrino Ute 12-16-2005 04:11 AM

Not sure if this is the answer you're looking for...

but Hatch was the chairman of the Senate Judicial Committee. I don't know if that is any more or less powerful a position than Senate Minority Leader.

And Ezra Taft Benson was Eisenhower's Secretary of Agriculture. (which would cause a clever LDS Democrat who didn't like Benson's politcal beliefs to say something about BS.... ;) )

fuegote 12-16-2005 04:15 AM

Hoya, that's why I'm neither a Democrat or a Republican. I'm conservative in my political stance but that doesn't mean I vote republican.

I like to look at the constitution and choose the canidate the comes the closest to following the constitution's ideals.