cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Juice (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7811)

DrumNFeather 04-20-2007 03:01 PM

Juice

Simple enough topic, right?

I haven't ever been much of a juice drinker (the acid doesn't agree with me) and I don't eat fruit at all, but as I've been considering the CB Biggest loser, I thought I'd give juice a shot again, but just had a few questions.

I am currently drinking Orange and Cranberry juice. I've noticed that the carbs are high in both...is this a bad thing? I know that a lot of crash diets tell you to be low on carbs, but I just figured juice would be good for me.

Any thoughts on juice? kinds, brands, whatever you got, I'm listening.

Thanks

hyrum 04-20-2007 03:15 PM

everything in moderation

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumNFeather (Post 75296)
Simple enough topic, right?

I haven't ever been much of a juice drinker (the acid doesn't agree with me) and I don't eat fruit at all, but as I've been considering the CB Biggest loser, I thought I'd give juice a shot again, but just had a few questions.

I am currently drinking Orange and Cranberry juice. I've noticed that the carbs are high in both...is this a bad thing? I know that a lot of crash diets tell you to be low on carbs, but I just figured juice would be good for me.

Any thoughts on juice? kinds, brands, whatever you got, I'm listening.

Thanks

Fruit juice IS a lot of carbs. Its fructose, maybe one step better than pure sugar. That said, fruit is good for you, though you'd probably be better to eat the actual fruit to get all the fiber and vitamins. So I would just include it in the calorie count; focus on keeping to a daily calorie limit ... and if you're not getting any "fullness" in return from the fruit juice calories, you can skip it or switch to whole fruit. Cut up an apple or orange. You can also dilute the juice if you're using it for hydration for exercise.

marsupial 04-20-2007 03:30 PM

Eat fruit. Avoid juice. Fruit has fiber that will fill you up. Juice is just a sugar with vitamin C.

bYuPride 04-20-2007 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 75309)
Eat fruit. Avoid juice. Fruit has fiber that will fill you up. Juice is just a sugar with vitamin C.

what about gatorade? I'm a water man myself, but we have some gatorade in the house... I didn't like drinking it while I ride my bike, but I enjoy it before or sometime after.

il Padrino Ute 04-20-2007 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 75309)

So, Jack Lalanne has been misguiding us all these years?

marsupial 04-20-2007 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bYuPride (Post 75358)
what about gatorade? I'm a water man myself, but we have some gatorade in the house... I didn't like drinking it while I ride my bike, but I enjoy it before or sometime after.

Gatorade has fewer calories than juice. But if you're trying to lose weight, I'd say water is the best way to quench your thirst.

marsupial 04-20-2007 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 75369)
So, Jack Lalanne has been misguiding us all these years?

I don't know. What does he say?

I'm no expert, but you get about 60 calories from an apple and about 120 calories from an 8 oz glass of apple juice. If I was counting calories, I'd drink water and eat an apple.

RockyBalboa 04-20-2007 08:19 PM

I seem to get really bad headaches whenever I drink juices, so I rarely do.

I also seem to develop a canker sore or two if I drink juice.

Is that an allergy thing? I honestly have no idea why that happens.

il Padrino Ute 04-21-2007 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 75374)
I don't know. What does he say?

I'm no expert, but you get about 60 calories from an apple and about 120 calories from an 8 oz glass of apple juice. If I was counting calories, I'd drink water and eat an apple.

http://www.powerjuicer.com/?src=JL249TG