cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Webb's campaign about to take a huge hit (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4822)

Cali Coug 10-27-2006 08:16 PM

Webb's campaign about to take a huge hit

http://drudgereport.com/flashaw.htm

This kind of campaigning really sickens me. If Web's novels were an issue worthy of consideration in the campaign, Allen would have brought them up a long time ago. They have been publicly available for decades. It isn't as if Allen just learned about this stuff.

He chose to sit on the information until the end of the campaign and then try to win the campaign on something other than substance. He isn't the only one who does garbage like this, but it is consistenly bad for the country and the voters.

MikeWaters 10-27-2006 08:24 PM

that's why it is good for Romney that this BYU mini-scandal already came out.

Although I'm sure it will be resurrected later if Romney is a threat. Meaning that right now it hasn't gotten enough traction that most people actually know about it. If people knew about it, it would be defused.

non sequitur 10-27-2006 08:45 PM

I'm more disturbed by the quality of the writing than I am by the content, although I was intrigued by that banana trick. I wonder if she gets to write off the cost of those bananas, because if I'm an IRS auditor and I see someone writing off bananas as a business expense, I'd be more than a little skeptical. I'd most likely insist on a demonstration.

Cali Coug 10-27-2006 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by non sequitur (Post 42763)
I'm more disturbed by the quality of the writing than I am by the content, although I was intrigued by that banana trick. I wonder if she gets to write off the cost of those bananas, because if I'm an IRS auditor and I see someone writing off bananas as a business expense, I'd be more than a little skeptical. I'd most likely insist on a demonstration.

lol! You've gotta do your job...

Archaea 10-27-2006 08:55 PM

The first cutout disturbed me with the boy. Politicians will wait until their opponents can't respond, but the banana scene left me laughing. The first one was deplorable.

SteelBlue 10-27-2006 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by non sequitur (Post 42763)
I'm more disturbed by the quality of the writing than I am by the content,

"...his eyes were red, as if burned by fire." Ugh.

Cali Coug 10-27-2006 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 42771)
"...his eyes were red, as if burned by fire." Ugh.

Yeah, no question he isn't much of a novelist. Then again, he isn't running for "Author of the United States."

The only way I see Webb surviving this is if he immediately releases an ad that explains he was writing about the horrors of Vietnam, something he would know about but Allen would not (having not served).

Of course, that is exactly the problem with this kind of garbage campaigning. The only response is another negative response (which engenders yet another and another).

In the end, the voter doesn't have a clue about issues, but they can tell you sordid details from a novel or the military record of candidates from 40 years ago.

Archaea 10-27-2006 09:17 PM

When the voters don't care or even understand the issues, but would rather watch Oprah listening to lurid details, what do you expect politicians to do?

Cali Coug 10-27-2006 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 42778)
When the voters don't care or even understand the issues, but would rather watch Oprah listening to lurid details, what do you expect politicians to do?

Democracy needs an educated electorate to succeed.

Archaea 10-27-2006 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoyacoug (Post 42782)
Democracy needs an educated electorate to succeed.

What about federated republics?