cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The current direction of BYU Provo (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4185)

Archaea 09-17-2006 04:47 AM

The current direction of BYU Provo

discourages me.

I long for the days of Oaks or Lee. I know eventually this too must pass, but the days of academic retrenchment are horrifying, as BYU treads water, becoming nothing more than a glorified seminary.

All-American 09-17-2006 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea
discourages me.

I long for the days of Oaks or Lee. I know eventually this too must pass, but the days of academic retrenchment are horrifying, as BYU treads water, becoming nothing more than a glorified seminary.

Agreed. There's a lot more emphasis on living the honor code than on learning.

SeattleUte 09-17-2006 05:22 AM

Well said, and I can't improve on these posts, and I doubt anyone else could. Mike, lock up the thread.

Jeff Lebowski 09-17-2006 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea
discourages me.

Interesting. Are there any specific recent events to which you are refering?

MikeWaters 09-17-2006 05:56 AM

We should start our own quasi LDS university/college. Like the one in Virginia (?). Not because BYU is terrible, but because it would be fun. I wonder how the hierarchy has handled the Virginia thing. I mean, are they working behind the scenes? Would they put pressure on the trustees to do things in certain ways?

On second thought, what a mess. You couldn't pay me enough to do it.

SeattleUte 09-17-2006 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski

I'm an outsider. But for starters I can tell you, from an outsider's perspective, that while Oaks and Lee were world class academics and administrators, with world class resumes, since Lee seemingly this has not been a criterion for BYU's president. Seemingly ideological purity has been the key. The fact that Michael Young is Utah's and not BYU's president says it all. He should have been Lee's heir apparent; that was the trajectory of his career. Ultimately, I doubt it ever was a possibility, by mutual desire. This philosophical divide at BYU has been well known, of course. The Taliban has seized control of the place. BYU has a lot of very bright and consciencious professors for whom I feel sorry.

Archaea 09-17-2006 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski

I'm ruminating while discussing matters with professors, seeing no vision from Samuelson, remembering my discussions with Rex Lee, and reviewing the rankings of BYU departments. BYU Provo deserves better.

I feel better right now about BYU Idaho with Kim Clark than I do about BYU Provo. The attitude conveyed to me by the few profs known to me is that living the Honor Code is more important than academic scholarship. Geeze, for the most part, the HC should be an afterthought that nobody speaks about, with focus being on academic development and research.

Colly Wolly 09-17-2006 02:06 PM

I agree that there is too much emphasis on the Honor Code. I got my undergrad at the Business School, and felt like it was a different environment from the rest of the campus, for what its worth. I was pleased with my experience in the Business School.

I'm not sold on Samuelson either. It almost seems like he didnt really want the job.

MikeWaters 09-17-2006 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stick It In Him
I agree that there is too much emphasis on the Honor Code. I got my undergrad at the Business School, and felt like it was a different environment from the rest of the campus, for what its worth. I was pleased with my experience in the Business School.

I'm not sold on Samuelson either. It almost seems like he didnt really want the job.

the job shouldn't be a calling. it should be a job. I agree, I haven't noticed any particular enthusiasm from Samuelson. He's dutifully serving his time.

Sleeping in EQ 09-17-2006 03:00 PM

Samuelson is triage from the absolute wreckage that was Bateman. I'd say more, but I'm on the market this year...

Send me a message and we can back channel.