cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Believers' Common Cross (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26610)

Levin 11-12-2009 12:19 PM

The Believers' Common Cross

Andrew Sullivan is gay, he's also an observant Catholic. I find these words, especially the last paragraph, to be poignant, and maybe even familiar for many in the LDS Church -- or any church. The common cross of staying faithful to a Church that has tenets with which your moral compass does not agree.

Quote:

I do find it increasingly hard to attend mass after campaigns as in Maine that feel like an assault on my soul and others'; and a sense of exile - spiritually and psychologically - has marked my faith life since the sex abuse scandal broke.

Maybe I am too weak to leave and be done with it. But in my prayer life, I detect no vocation to do so. In fact, in so far as I can glean a vocation, it is to stay and bear witness, to be a thorn in the side, even if the thorn turns inward so often, and hurts and wounds me too.

I stay because I believe. And I stay because I hope. What I find hard is the third essential part: to love. So I stay away when the anger eclipses that. But the love for this church remains through the anger and despair: the goodness of so many in it, the truth of its sacraments, the knowledge that nothing is perfect and nothing is improved if you are not there to help it.
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.co...he-castro.html

MikeWaters 11-12-2009 12:26 PM

So he is a Catholic in good standing?

There is no way he would be a Mormon in good standing. He would be ex'ed.

Does anyone know a gay ex-Mormon who has remained active, despite being ex'ed?

Levin 11-12-2009 02:18 PM

He particpates in the Eucharist. He attends Mass frequently.

A Catholic can do this. For an intensely participatory Church like the LDS Church, and where "good standing" labels have the force of law, an openly gay person can't do this.

Tex 11-12-2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levin (Post 308099)
He particpates in the Eucharist. He attends Mass frequently.

A Catholic can do this. For an intensely participatory Church like the LDS Church, and where "good standing" labels have the force of law, an openly gay person can't do this.

Again, you may want to clarify this, because it's wrong as stated. An openly gay person can certainly partake of the sacrament, provided he is chaste.

Levin 11-12-2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 308100)
Again, you may want to clarify this, because it's wrong as stated. An openly gay person can certainly partake of the sacrament, provided he is chaste.

Yes, I meant one like Sullivan.

But the more interesting part of Sullivan's post is how he sticks with it because he believes. He has hope the Catholic church will change, but ultimatley he stays b/c he believes.

Tex 11-12-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levin (Post 308103)
Yes, I meant one like Sullivan.

But the more interesting part of Sullivan's post is how he sticks with it because he believes. He has hope the Catholic church will change, but ultimatley he stays b/c he believes.

Of all the reasons one might stay loyal to a church, that one is the best.

MikeWaters 11-12-2009 06:11 PM

Isn't Quinn kind of the same? Believer, but not in complete comformance with standards.

Archaea 11-12-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 308117)
Isn't Quinn kind of the same? Believer, but not in complete comformance with standards.

I believe he is. And the Church makes no place for persons in his situation.

Tex 11-12-2009 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 308119)
I believe he is. And the Church makes no place for persons in his situation.

What situation is that, exactly?

MikeWaters 11-12-2009 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 308124)
What situation is that, exactly?

Dudes who want full membership but put their pokey in the wrong poke, so to speak.