cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   we are going to be the stake champions in bball this year (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25382)

MikeWaters 02-06-2009 04:35 PM

we are going to be the stake champions in bball this year

We are going from worst to first.

Last year, we couldn't even field a team consistently, and when we did, we had to have a 300lb high priest who doesn't know how to play to get 5 players on the court. When you have 3 guys on the floor who can't dribble, it's hard to win.

This year we have 7 guys who know how to play ball. Know how to pass, shoot, play good zone D, rebound, etc. We are a team that you cannot play zone against. The 3 is our game. Last night was the meeting of the undefeateds, both of us 2-0. We shredded them by over 20.

The last time we were stake champions was about 3 years ago. Good team that year, and faced stronger competition. But we got shredded in the regionals. I suspect that will happen again this time. The best teams in the suburbs are tough, probably facing a team with multiple ex-college players.

Levin 02-06-2009 05:29 PM

Sounds like your ward has an extremely high turnover, with the Waters as the one source of stability.

MikeWaters 02-06-2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levin (Post 300182)
Sounds like your ward has an extremely high turnover, with the Waters as the one source of stability.

there are 3 of us that have been around for several years. But one of the three is an older guy with knees that would make Hornacek cringe. The other one is very good, but has flaked out in the past (i.e., I can't play basketball because I am training for a marathon). I am by personality and playing style, a role player. I am your 7 assists, 4 steals, 7 rebounds, 8 points guy.

Levin 02-06-2009 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 300185)
I am by personality and playing style, a role player. I am your 7 assists, 4 steals, 7 rebounds, 8 points guy.

I.e., indespensible.

The b-ball announcements during Priesthood opening exercises are one of the few familiarizing effects for new visitors to our peculiar merry band.

MikeWaters 03-24-2009 02:13 AM

We won the stake championship, although I wasn't there for the last two games of the tournament (campout).

We went to regionals, and won the first two games handily, making it to the championship game.

I won't bother you with all the little details, but we fell behind in the 2nd half by about 17, and mounted a furious comeback, but too little too late, lost by 3.

Very proud of the team, we had a great time, best finish probably ever for our ward.

Since I have been in the ward we made regionals one other time, and we were blown out in the first game.

MikeWaters 03-27-2010 06:34 AM

Won the stake again this year. Undefeated in stake, two years straight. It helps when you have a guard that played college basketball.