cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   BCS questions (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24504)

ERCougar 11-07-2008 01:33 PM

BCS questions

If BYU beats Utah, who wins the tiebreaker? Is it the league champion or the highest in the BCS standings who would go to a BCS game (assuming they beat out BSU)? Can two non-BCS teams go if they're both in the top 16?

As a sidenote, if BYU does beat Utah (and of course AFA), then they'd have a pretty good claim to being the best, as among the top 3, as they were 1-1 with both games on the road. It would be:
1) BYU (both road)
2) TCU (one road, one away)
3) Utah (both home games)
Kind of a funny reversal of popular opinion right now, although based on last night's performance (and an application of Bayes theorem), I'm not convinced Utah's better than TCU.

cougjunkie 11-07-2008 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERCougar (Post 291734)
If BYU beats Utah, who wins the tiebreaker? Is it the league champion or the highest in the BCS standings who would go to a BCS game (assuming they beat out BSU)? Can two non-BCS teams go if they're both in the top 16?

As a sidenote, if BYU does beat Utah (and of course AFA), then they'd have a pretty good claim to being the best, as among the top 3, as they were 1-1 with both games on the road. It would be:
1) BYU (both road)
Kind of a funny reversal of popular opinion right now, although based on last night's performance (and an application of Bayes theorem), I'm not convinced Utah's better than TCU.

Because the loss will come so late in the season I think BYU would most likely jump Utah in the BCS. Traditionally you see a lot of movement in the final polls. BYU will also get a boost when it plays AF next week as well. I still think BYU would need Boise to lose and I just dont see it happening.

ERCougar 11-07-2008 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 291742)
Because the loss will come so late in the season I think BYU would most likely jump Utah in the BCS. Traditionally you see a lot of movement in the final polls. BYU will also get a boost when it plays AF next week as well. I still think BYU would need Boise to lose and I just dont see it happening.

Unless they allow two teams, I actually don't see BSU making it, as BYU's SOS looks to improve significantly over the next few weeks. If BYU beats Utah and AFA, I bet they jump Boise in the computer polls. Obviously, if Utah wins out, they'll stay ahead of Boise.

ERCougar 11-07-2008 03:52 PM

I'll answer my own question here. It does appear that there can be two "BCS busters" in the same year. From the wikipedia entry:

"The highest ranked champion of a non-BCS conference will receive an automatic berth if:
It is ranked in the top twelve, or
Ranked in the top sixteen and higher than another BCS Conference champion. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowl_Championship_Series

I could actually see both BSU and BYU/Utah/TCU making BCS games this year. Am I reading this wrong?

Mormon Red Death 11-07-2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERCougar (Post 291821)
I'll answer my own question here. It does appear that there can be two "BCS busters" in the same year. From the wikipedia entry:

"The highest ranked champion of a non-BCS conference will receive an automatic berth if:
It is ranked in the top twelve, or
Ranked in the top sixteen and higher than another BCS Conference champion. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowl_Championship_Series

I could actually see both BSU and BYU/Utah/TCU making BCS games this year. Am I reading this wrong?

Only one is guaranteed

Mormon Red Death 11-07-2008 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERCougar (Post 291734)

1) BYU (both road)

you also need to hope that ball st loses

Archaea 11-07-2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death (Post 291827)

Is any of the three teams legitimately BCS ready?

ERCougar 11-07-2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death (Post 291826)
Only one is guaranteed

That's not how I read it. Only one from each conference is guaranteed.

Flystripper 11-07-2008 04:39 PM

Quote:

why? they are 17 we are 15

ERCougar 11-07-2008 04:39 PM

Quote:

Nope...not ahead in BCS rankings. This discrepancy only worsens as our SOS goes up.