cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   A beautiful day in America. (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24375)

Cali Coug 11-05-2008 04:40 AM

A beautiful day in America.

Regardless of how you feel about Obama, today is one of the most remarkable and moving moments in American history. To think that at the founding of this great nation, Obama would have been 3/5ths of a person. To think of all those who have bled and died for equal rights for minorities, whose greatest aspiration would have been freedom for them and others, never even contemplating the possibility of a black president. To think that a mere 50 years ago, this nation was debating the merits of permitting blacks to eat in the same restaurant and drink from the same water fountain, and that an act as simple as sitting in the front of a bus would take courage and fortitude unlike anything most of us will ever experience.

Today is indeed one of the single greatest moments in American history. God bless America.

Now let's get started.

Archaea 11-05-2008 04:41 AM

Gloating has begun. Right on cue.

scottie 11-05-2008 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 289978)
Regardless of how you feel about Obama, today is one of the most remarkable and moving moments in American history. To think that at the founding of this great nation, Obama would have been 3/5ths of a person. To think of all those who have bled and died for equal rights for minorities, whose greatest aspiration would have been freedom for them and others, never even contemplating the possibility of a black president. To think that a mere 50 years ago, this nation was debating the merits of permitting blacks to eat in the same restaurant and drink from the same water fountain, and that an act as simple as sitting in the front of a bus would take courage and fortitude unlike anything most of us will ever experience.

Today is indeed one of the single greatest moments in American history. God bless America.

Now let's get started.

Well said.

BarbaraGordon 11-05-2008 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 289980)
Gloating has begun. Right on cue.

actually, that was downright tempered for a cali post.

8ballrollin 11-05-2008 04:46 AM

Quote:

Now let's get started.

What's your plan?

ute4ever 11-05-2008 04:48 AM

You lifted that from The Frederick Douglass Weekly.

Runner Coug 11-05-2008 04:48 AM

Quote:

Now let's get started.

It's hard to argue with any of that. If it's safe to say that we can finally put our racist past behind us, I'm all for it.

Sadly, though, any opposition to Obama during his presidency will be met with the convenient shouts of racism from the left. So if your side is really interested in change, let's start with that.

Venkman 11-05-2008 04:49 AM

Yes, in one sense it is a beautiful day, but I wonder if libs would be saying the same thing if the first black president was a conservative republican?

BTW, that's a rhetorical question so you don't have to answer.

il Padrino Ute 11-05-2008 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 290001)
It's hard to argue with any of that. If it's safe to say that we can finally put our racist past behind us, I'm all for it.

Sadly, though, any opposition to Obama during his presidency will be met with the convenient shouts of racism from the left. So if your side is really interested in change, let's start with that.

I agree with you 100%.

BlueHair 11-05-2008 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 290004)
I agree with you 100%.

I agree with you 98.7% I'm just disappointed my vote for Bob Barr wasn't enough to get him elected.