cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   A few geographical temple stats (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23333)

ute4ever 10-05-2008 10:11 PM

A few geographical temple stats

The longest worldwide distance to any temple: 3902 miles, found 598 miles north of the South Pole in Antartica (north towards South Africa). This point is an equal 3902 miles from the temples in Johannesburg, Buenos Aires, and Melbourne.

Longest non-Antartica distance: 3330 miles, found in the Indian Ocean, 95 miles north-northeast of the Saloman Islands. This point is an equal 3330 miles from the temples in Johannesburg, Hong Kong, and Perth.

Longest non-ocean distance: 2403 miles, found 45 miles east of Saskylakh, Russia. Equal distance to the Helsinki, Seoul, and Anchorage temples.

Longest North America distance: 2051 miles, from Alert, Canada (on the coast of the Nares Strait of the Arctic Ocean) to Anchorage.

Longest U.S. distance: 1498 miles, from Cape Wrangell on Attu Island, Alaska, to Anchorage.

Longest mainland U.S. distance: 291 miles, from Hamlin, Maine to Montreal.

Longest mainland U.S. distance in-between multiple temples (non-corner location): 285 miles equally from Doughboy, Nebraska to Denver, Bismark, and Omaha (Winter Quarters).

Meanwhile presently the shortest distance is 8.1 miles from Salt Lake to Bountiful, although that will soon be shortened to 3.7 miles once the new Oquirrh Hills temple opens (from Jordan River).

Archaea 10-05-2008 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 275132)
The longest worldwide distance to any temple: 3902 miles, found 598 miles north of the South Pole in Antartica (north towards South Africa). This point is an equal 3902 miles from the temples in Johannesburg, Buenos Aires, and Melbourne.

Longest non-Antartica distance: 3330 miles, found in the Indian Ocean, 95 miles north-northeast of the Saloman Islands. This point is an equal 3330 miles from the temples in Johannesburg, Hong Kong, and Perth.

Longest non-ocean distance: 2403 miles, found 45 miles east of Saskylakh, Russia. Equal distance to the Helsinki, Seoul, and Anchorage temples.

Longest North America distance: 2051 miles, from Alert, Canada (on the coast of the Nares Strait of the Arctic Ocean) to Anchorage.

Longest U.S. distance: 1498 miles, from Cape Wrangell on Attu Island, Alaska, to Anchorage.

Longest mainland U.S. distance: 291 miles, from Hamlin, Maine to Montreal.

Longest mainland U.S. distance in-between multiple temples (non-corner location): 285 miles equally from Doughboy, Nebraska to Denver, Bismark, and Omaha (Winter Quarters).

Meanwhile presently the shortest distance is 8.1 miles from Salt Lake to Bountiful, although that will soon be shortened to 3.7 miles once the new Oquirrh Hills temple opens (from Jordan River).

So US residents are all within a four to five hour drive. Interesting.

ute4ever 10-05-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 275135)
So US residents are all within a four to five hour drive. Interesting.

Yeah in fact there are only 9 points in the US that are over 200 miles from a temple; 5 are in the south, 3 in the midwest, 1 in Maine (mentioned above) and Eureka, Nevada.

Archaea 10-05-2008 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 275141)
Yeah in fact there are only 9 points in the US that are over 200 miles from a temple; 5 are in the south, 3 in the midwest, 1 in Maine (mentioned above) and Eureka, Nevada.

Now there's an important spot. Not.

But it does have a rather historic courthouse.

hyrum 10-05-2008 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 275132)

Catching up to KFC.

SoonerCoug 10-05-2008 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyrum (Post 275154)
Catching up to KFC.

KFC is from Utah too, you know.

TripletDaddy 10-05-2008 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerCoug (Post 275173)
KFC is from Utah too, you know.

Not really.

The first franchise outlet was opened in Utah. It existed, by definition, way before that.

creekster 10-06-2008 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 275176)
Not really.

The first franchise outlet was opened in Utah. It existed, by definition, way before that.

Harmon's Kentucky Fried Chicken, on State Street at 39th South, was the first location. I used to eat there when I was a kid growing up. They had a statue of Colonel Sanders in the corner that used to freak me out. Good chicken, however.

TripletDaddy 10-06-2008 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 275186)
Harmon's Kentucky Fried Chicken, on State Street at 39th South, was the first location. I used to eat there when I was a kid growing up. They had a statue of Colonel Sanders in the corner that used to freak me out. Good chicken, however.

it was the first franchise. big difference. colonel sanders was selling his chicken long before. the concept is not from Utah nor was it created there.

creekster 10-06-2008 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 275188)
it was the first franchise. big difference. colonel sanders was selling his chicken long before. the concept is not from Utah nor was it created there.

Calm down Francis, I acknowledge this. I was just giving you young kids a shot from the ol' memory banks on this beautiful conference afternoon.