cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Bible should be taught in school (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22555)

SeattleUte 09-16-2008 02:15 PM

The Bible should be taught in school

The controversy over teaching the Bible in school really reveals profound ignorance on both right and left. In another incarnation I'd love to teach the Bible in school. The Bible should be taught in schools as much as the Iliad, the Aeneid, Beowulf and Gilgamesh should be taught in schools. It's a tragedy that it is not.

My courses on the Bible would bring it to life in the truest sense as the well spring of what we are, even our very language. I can even imagine (God forbid!) a course in which creationism and evolution are taught side by side--the Adam and Eve story and its significance and Darwin's lifelong journey and discoveries and the ultimate progress and mainstreaming of evolution.

What are secularists scared of?

The stupidity of both the Christian right and the secularists on this issue was brought home to me when I read a liberal's short hand list of bad things about Sarah Palin. One item was, "Favors teaching creationsim and evolution side by side in the schools." I thought, "Oh no! Not that! Please, someone take her out, that would be terrible!" (I try to be funny and snarky even when talking to myself, it's a bad habit.)

I tell you what, those kids wouldn't leave my class believing all Arabs are descended from Ishmael. Yes, my record of persuasion is pretty dismal here, but I figure kids are more impressionable. Anyway, my classes would be very popular with smart kids.

MikeWaters 09-16-2008 02:16 PM

the one good thing I see coming out of this post is that SU realizes being a corporate lawyer who helps companies get past environmental regulations is probably a waste of his life.

Goatnapper'96 09-16-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 266006)
The controversy over teaching the Bible in school really reveals profound ignorance on both right and left. In another incarnation I'd love to teach the Bible in school. The Bible should be taught in schools as much as the Iliad, the Aeneid, Beowulf and Gilgamesh should be taught in schools. It's a tragedy that it is not.

My courses on the Bible would bring it to life in the truest sense as the well spring of what we are, even our very language. I can even imagine (God forbid!) a course in which creationism and evolution are taught side by side--the Adam and Eve story and its significance and Darwin's lifelong journey and discoveries and the ultimate progress and mainstreaming of evolution.

What are secularists scared of?

The stupidity of both the Christian right and the secularists on this issue was brought home to me when I read a liberal's short hand list of bad things about Sarah Palin. One item was, "Favors teaching creationsim and evolution side by side in the schools." I thought, "Oh no! Not that! Please, someone take her out, that would be terrible!" (I try to be funny and snarky even when talking to myself, it's a bad habit.)

I tell you what, those kids wouldn't leave my class believing all Arabs are descended from Ishmael. Yes, my record of persuasion is pretty dismal here, but I figure kids are more impressionable. Anyway, my classes would be very popular with smart kids.

That was a funny post. Your record of persuasion line is still killing me.

BarbaraGordon 09-16-2008 02:20 PM

Quote:

(I try to be funny and snarky even when talking to myself, it's a bad habit.)

Nice. Do you condescend to yourself, too? 'Cause that would be kind of entertaining to listen to.

We studied OT passages in my public high school, from a literary perspective. We also studied NT passages vs the corresponding text in the Quran in a comparative religion class. I don't remember any parents complaining.

DNA 09-16-2008 02:27 PM

Quote:

Oh great one, where do Arabs come from?

DNA 09-16-2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

CAn't quite trust those parents to do what's best SU? I'm sure you could do a much better job than them. We'll make you grand poo bah.

Jeff Lebowski 09-16-2008 03:02 PM

Quote:

Problem is, you probably envision creationism as being taught as an example of myth and its impact on culture, where she probably envisions it being taught as science or a righteous debunking of science.

Tex 09-16-2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 266025)
Problem is, you probably envision creationism as being taught as an example of myth and its impact on culture, where she probably envisions it being taught as science or a righteous debunking of science.

Just curious ... do we have evidence this is what she envisions?

Jeff Lebowski 09-16-2008 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 266026)
Just curious ... do we have evidence this is what she envisions?

No, just a hunch. But you may be right. She may in fact be an SU-style secularist masquerading as a frontier evangelical. You never know.

BarbaraGordon 09-16-2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 266030)
She may in fact be an SU-style secularist masquerading as a frontier evangelical. You never know.

keehee