cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Any suggestions on how to ask a fathers... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2129)

fusnik11 05-03-2006 03:07 PM

Any suggestions on how to ask a fathers...

permission to marry his daughter?

Need to do that pretty quick.....

Lunch?

Swing by his office?

Catch him alone in his office at his home?

livecoug 05-03-2006 03:23 PM

i called him on my cell phone.. he was, of course, 9 hours away... it was very awkward for me.. if you are close by and you have a good relationship, why not do lunch? if that is too awkward, give him a call alone...

MikeWaters 05-03-2006 03:25 PM

I did the phone call. Very awkward. Make the discussion as short as possible.

The_Tick 05-03-2006 03:31 PM

I have never understood asking the dad...

I am not marrying him right? So what does it matter. They are either going to like me or not. No matter what he said I was going to marry his daughter.

Seemed like a waste of time, so we didn't do it. We told them we were getting married after we were engaged.

Archaea 05-03-2006 03:33 PM

It's a good way to establish a nice relationship with the inlaws and shows respect. He's not going to turn you down.

Simply ask for a lunch, inform him of your decision. He will likely approve and be happy you asked permission. This is a tradition which most likely is dying, but it will benefit you.

TheSizzle36 05-03-2006 04:22 PM

It depends on how tight with him you are

It depends on how tight with him you are. If you're cool, give him a call up and offer to take him to lunch. If it's not a good close relationship yet, swing by his house when you know he's home and your fiancee isn't (you can think of something).

A good way to establish a solid relationship with the FIL. Lucky for me, Mrs Sizzle has no FIL, so I dodged that awkward moment.

:)

fuegote 05-03-2006 04:40 PM

I actually called my future mother-in-law and asked if I could come over and speak with them both. we sat down in their living room and I asked both of them for their daughter's hand.

it was a great experience, but then again, I have superfantastic in-laws. I'm on the lucky side of many subjects concerning marriage. ;) ;)

DrumNFeather 05-03-2006 04:58 PM

I went with the phone call. He was more interested in catching up on sports than the actual reason that I had called...after all the sports talk, I asked and he said, "Oh sure, that's fine"

RockyBalboa 05-04-2006 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Tick
I have never understood asking the dad...

I am not marrying him right? So what does it matter. They are either going to like me or not. No matter what he said I was going to marry his daughter.

Seemed like a waste of time, so we didn't do it. We told them we were getting married after we were engaged.

To me it was always a matter of showing respect. Of course I'm a little old fashioned anyway when it comes to chivalry, and taking care of the girls I go out with.

SteelBlue 05-04-2006 01:24 AM

I didn't ask my father in law. He basically abandoned my wife from the age of 7 until she was off in college. I didn't figure he deserved the respect that such an act would show. We get along ok now, but quite frankly I didn't care what his opinion was at that time.