cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   vasectomy (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21045)

danimal 07-19-2008 01:51 AM

vasectomy

I was thumbing through the Church Handbook the other night when I saw a section on vasectomies. I was surprised to see that the church not only discouraged them, but said that Bishops should be consulted in making this decision.

I think this is bizarre for 2 reasons:
1. This is buried in the back of the CHI where no regular church member will read it. I know lots of active men who have had them and know they didn't even think to consult their bishop.
2. I don't get why the church really cares. They got over birth control decades ago. Think of it as a condom that doesn't wear out.

Levin 07-19-2008 01:56 AM

My brother got a vasectomy right before he was called as Bishop; it was funny when he told me about reading the Church Handbook.

I probably wouldn't get a vasectomy because what if my wife passed away and I got remarried to a hot little thing who wanted to have my children?

ute4ever 07-19-2008 01:59 AM

I don't mean to sound like a smart ass so don't read it this way, but maybe the view on vasectomies follows the same pattern of logic as the stance opposing gay marriage. It's all about breeding, breeding, and more breeding.

danimal 07-19-2008 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 244434)
I don't mean to sound like a smart ass so don't read it this way, but maybe the view on vasectomies follows the same pattern of logic as the stance opposing gay marriage. It's all about breeding, breeding, and more breeding.

But then why don't they have a problem with other forms of birth control?

MikeWaters 07-19-2008 02:06 AM

same category as things such as tattoos.

danimal 07-19-2008 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 244438)
same category as things such as tattoos.

In what way?

MikeWaters 07-19-2008 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danimal (Post 244441)
In what way?

inappropriate altering of the human body.

danimal 07-19-2008 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 244442)
inappropriate altering of the human body.

Why no sections on nose jobs or boob jobs or penis enlargement surgeries?

MikeWaters 07-19-2008 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danimal (Post 244443)

better question: why suggestions that cosmetic surgery is wrong in talks by GAs (while presumably not in handbook), but no talks on vasectomies, despite their being a policy in the handbook?

creekster 07-19-2008 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danimal (Post 244443)

You must not have read far enough.