cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Podcast recommendations...? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19853)

Parrot Head 06-01-2008 03:41 AM

Podcast recommendations...?

Apparently, I left my Walkman and favorite mixed tape in direct sunlight for too long and it melted into something resembling Dali's Persistence of Time. I'm about to go on a business trip and want to download some podcasts to listen to, but I don't know what's good - any recommendations out there?

I'd be more into nerdy-yet-entertaining genre or business-related topics. I know several B-schools offer podcasts of their lectures, also. But I'll give something a try if it sounds decent and I'm hoping UteStar comes through with some good "How-to" series from his closet, er, iPod.

SteelBlue 06-01-2008 04:43 AM

WNYC's radio lab are my favorites. NPR's This American Life is also a good listen.

UtahDan 06-01-2008 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parrot Head (Post 227297)
Apparently, I left my Walkman and favorite mixed tape in direct sunlight for too long and it melted into something resembling Dali's Persistence of Time. I'm about to go on a business trip and want to download some podcasts to listen to, but I don't know what's good - any recommendations out there?

I'd be more into nerdy-yet-entertaining genre or business-related topics. I know several B-schools offer podcasts of their lectures, also. But I'll give something a try if it sounds decent and I'm hoping UteStar comes through with some good "How-to" series from his closet, er, iPod.

Naked Scientist (british)
Mormonstories
60 Minutes

UteStar 06-01-2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parrot Head (Post 227297)

Some of the funniest podcasts that I have listened to are the Ricky Gervais podcasts. Very, very funny stuff.

I don't have very many good 'how to' ones though I have heard that 'Being the best metrosexual you can be' is very informative.

Frank Ryan 06-01-2008 01:55 PM

Joe Frank

bluegoose 06-02-2008 03:53 PM

Some of my favorites (Most have already been mentioned)-

60 minutes
RadioLab
This American Life
Ricky Gervais
the Onion
How Stuff Works/ Stuff You Should Know
Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me

mpfunk 06-02-2008 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UteStar (Post 227337)
Some of the funniest podcasts that I have listened to are the Ricky Gervais podcasts. Very, very funny stuff.

I don't have very many good 'how to' ones though I have heard that 'Being the best metrosexual you can be' is very informative.

I agree on the Ricky Gervais podcasts but they will set you back about $6.95 for each season. However, it is three hours of pure entertainment with Karl Pilkington.

myboynoah 06-02-2008 04:59 PM

The best is Tony Kornheiser's show on Washington Post Radio. Sports and talking about life and current events. The show is very funny, and it's free.

UteStar 06-02-2008 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 227568)
The best is Tony Kornheiser's show on Washington Post Radio. Sports and talking about life and current events. The show is very funny, and it's free.

I agree, Kornheisers show is fabulous. I don't think you get a podcast of it, but the Sports Reporters (Steve Zcaban and a couple of others) show out of Washington DC is terrific. They usually have a 5 minute segment with Tony every day as well.

myboynoah 06-02-2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UteStar (Post 227571)
I agree, Kornheisers show is fabulous. I don't think you get a podcast of it, but the Sports Reporters (Steve Zcaban and a couple of others) show out of Washington DC is terrific. They usually have a 5 minute segment with Tony every day as well.

As I've always said, you are a man of impeccable tastes.

The sad thing about Kornheiser's show is that he'll be leaving pretty soon for MNF and won't return until after the season is over.