cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Provocative quotes (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19378)

SoonerCoug 05-13-2008 10:11 PM

Provocative quotes

Should I make posters of these quotes and put them on the bulletin board at church?

"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt" --Bertrand Russell

"Intolerance is the natural concomitant of strong faith; tolerance grows only when faith loses certainty; certainty is murderous" --Will Durant

"The greatest enemy of truth is very often not the lie -- deliberate, contrived, and dishonest -- but the myth -- persistent, pervasive, and unrealistic" --John F. Kennedy

MikeWaters 05-13-2008 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudphudCoug (Post 220713)
Should I make posters of these quotes and put them on the bulletin board at church?

"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt" --Bertrand Russell

"Intolerance is the natural concomitant of strong faith; tolerance grows only when faith loses certainty; certainty is murderous" --Will Durant

"The greatest enemy of truth is very often not the lie -- deliberate, contrived, and dishonest -- but the myth -- persistent, pervasive, and unrealistic" --John F. Kennedy

Someone should send these quotes to Jon Krakauer.

Goatnapper'96 05-13-2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

I make more taglines on Cougarguard than all those folks, combined I think. I deserve some type of board recognition, but Waters is bitter that I pointed out Adam is more smarter than he.

You could quote me on yer waaaaaaard bulletin board.

SeattleUte 05-13-2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

The first two are great. To the third I say, "Huh?" Not that myths aren't often an enemy of truth, but he seems to be going a little easy on deliberate lies. I guess chalk it up to the fact he made the statement during the '60's.

Tavern Knight 05-13-2008 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 220729)
The first two are great. To the third I say, "Huh?" Not that myths aren't often an enemy of truth, but he seems to be going a little easy on deliberate lies. I guess chalk it up to the fact he made the statement during the '60's.

I don't think he's going easy on deliberate lies, I think it's more that that kind of insidious lie is more rare and less believable. A flat out, bold faced lie is often disprovable.

That quote reminds me a little of ETB's quote that (paraphrasing) more evil has been done in the world by well intentioned do-gooders than by all the despots, tyrants, and dictators that ever lived.

In both cases, the harm is done because it's frequently not recognized for what it really is.

8ballrollin 05-13-2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

The greatness of JFK's presidency: lie or myth?

il Padrino Ute 05-14-2008 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8ballrollin (Post 220743)
The greatness of JFK's presidency: lie or myth?

Both.

The lie is what his worshipers believe.

The myth is what the rest of us see.

Sleeping in EQ 05-14-2008 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 220729)

I understand the JFK quote as suggesting the power of ideology--of mythos.