cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   I'm seeing comments on other boards (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17965)

SteelBlue 03-24-2008 01:13 AM

I'm seeing comments on other boards

from Ute fans which would seem to indicate that they feel some wins in whatever tournament it is they are playing in equate to something better than an opening round NCAA tourney loss. Please tell me that none of our level headed Utes here have fallen prey to such reasoning.

TheSizzle36 03-24-2008 01:17 AM

Well, Utah is still playing, while BYU is at home.

And if Utah wins the CBAICBA or whatever it is, who is to say that they aren't the true national champion? Right?

DrumNFeather 03-24-2008 01:20 AM

If a tree falls in the woods...

That is the analogy that best describes the Ute's tournament. However, if you're gonna play, you might as well try to win. The only benefit the team gets is the extra practices for the returning players...which is most of the team.

SteelBlue 03-24-2008 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 (Post 201406)
Well, Utah is still playing, while BYU is at home.

Yeah, it's kind of like the difference between getting to hook up with a hot girl once or an ugly girl all week.

il Padrino Ute 03-24-2008 01:27 AM

The CBI certainly isn't anything to be excited about.

I won't say it's better to win in the CBI - or NIT for that matter - than to lose in the NCAA tournament, but what's the point of going to the Big Dance if you're one and done?

MikeWaters 03-24-2008 01:30 AM

I wonder if Cummard will end his career 0-4 in postseason play.

Houston, Xavier, tamu. Giants of basketball. Who is next? Rice?

TheSizzle36 03-24-2008 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 201414)

I would feel better about our chances next year if Freddette was coming back. We should have Jackson Emery back though, and he showed some promise his freshman year. I hope his mission didn't ruin him.

SteelBlue 03-24-2008 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 201412)
but what's the point of going to the Big Dance if you're one and done?

Well, obviously the point is to win. But you know better than any of us what earning the chance to compete means.

SteelBlue 03-24-2008 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 201414)

I remember it as UConn, Xavier and A&M. Am I wrong?

MikeWaters 03-24-2008 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 (Post 201416)
I would feel better about our chances next year if Freddette was coming back. We should have Jackson Emery back though, and he showed some promise his freshman year. I hope his mission didn't ruin him.

Jackson Emery is promising in terms of being a decent MWC guard. He is not promising in the sense of a guard that will push you over into the Sweet 16. I doubt he is an improvement over Burgess in a meaningful way.