cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Professional Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Chuck Liddell vs Shogun (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16423)

cougjunkie 02-01-2008 04:35 PM

Chuck Liddell vs Shogun

Looks like this is going to happen May 24th in Vegas, on the same card as:

BJ Penn vs Sean Sherk
Loyto Machida vs Tito Ortiz
Thiago Silva vs Rashad Evans

Talk about a supercard, I think I am going to have to watch this one in person.

woot 02-01-2008 04:42 PM

Is Bas Rutten a successful UFC fighter? He's the guy that punched as hard as the hardest punching boxer and kicker significantly harder than the highest measure from a regular martial artist on that National Geographic show I watched.

Tito Ortiz registered an elbow strong enough to knock somebody out in one blow, and Couture's "ground and pound" technique turns out to be about 3x more effective than standing punches, which I thought was pretty crazy. I don't really know how any of these guys do in actual fights though.

RockyBalboa 02-01-2008 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 180708)

BJ Penn vs Sean Sherk

How much does it cost to go to a UFC PPV in person down in Vegas?

cougjunkie 02-01-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 180714)
How much does it cost to go to a UFC PPV in person down in Vegas?

I have seen tickets as low as 50 and as high as 5k. The good thing is the arenas are small (mandalay bay only holds about 7k) So their is not a bad seat.

cougjunkie 02-01-2008 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woot (Post 180712)
Is Bas Rutten a successful UFC fighter? He's the guy that punched as hard as the hardest punching boxer and kicker significantly harder than the highest measure from a regular martial artist on that National Geographic show I watched.

Tito Ortiz registered an elbow strong enough to knock somebody out in one blow, and Couture's "ground and pound" technique turns out to be about 3x more effective than standing punches, which I thought was pretty crazy. I don't really know how any of these guys do in actual fights though.

Bas Rutten- was at one time the heavyweight champ of the UFC, but he blew out his knee and was never the same. He hasnt fought for close to 10 years now.

Tito Ortiz- is a big name in the UFC and was one of the baddest men in the world, but he to has struggled the last few years.

Randy Couture- is the current heavyweight champion but he just retired.

SipiTau 02-01-2008 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 180718)
Bas Rutten- was at one time the heavyweight champ of the UFC, but he blew out his knee and was never the same. He hasnt fought for close to 10 years now.

Tito Ortiz- is a big name in the UFC and was one of the baddest men in the world, but he to has struggled the last few years.

Randy Couture- is the current heavyweight champion but he just retired.

Bas, is great. He fought two years ago against Warpath....just destroyed him with leg kicks.

SipiTau 02-01-2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 180708)

BJ Penn vs Sean Sherk

I agree, this one is shaping up to be a good one; these are all great matchups and I may have to take a roadie for this one.

I'm going with BJJ/Karate guys over the wrestlers: Penn, Machida and Silva.

Who do you have for this weekend? I hope Big Nog is in shape and wrecks Sylvia. I'm not sure who I like for Lesner v Mir; it's a toss up for me. They both look their in great shape.

cougjunkie 02-01-2008 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SipiTau (Post 180749)
I agree, this one is shaping up to be a good one; these are all great matchups and I may have to take a roadie for this one.

I'm going with BJJ/Karate guys over the wrestlers: Penn, Machida and Silva.

Who do you have for this weekend? I hope Big Nog is in shape and wrecks Sylvia. I'm not sure who I like for Lesner v Mir; it's a toss up for me. They both look their in great shape.

I hate Tim Sylvia and how he wore that damn belt around everywhere with his tight Wranglers I hope Big Nog kills him.

Lesnar and Mir is a hard one for me, because I have only seen Lensar once and Mir has been pretty weak since his motorcycle accident. However Mir has great jiu jiutsu and that is the last thing to come along when first learning the sport so Lesnar could be in trouble. This is a serious toss up.

fusnik11 02-01-2008 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 180760)
I hate Tim Sylvia and how he wore that damn belt around everywhere with his tight Wranglers I hope Big Nog kills him.

Lesnar and Mir is a hard one for me, because I have only seen Lensar once and Mir has been pretty weak since his motorcycle accident. However Mir has great jiu jiutsu and that is the last thing to come along when first learning the sport so Lesnar could be in trouble. This is a serious toss up.

I hope it's not a toss up. I'm having serious issues with taking this PPV serious as they are marketing Lesnar as a WWE Heavyweight Champ.

WWE is acting.

Sylvia is boring to watch and I hope Nogueira handles him and brings some pride back to the PRIDE fighters. If Nog wins you'll have 3 former PRIDE fighters holding belts in the UFC.

cougjunkie 02-01-2008 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fusnik11 (Post 180762)
I hope it's not a toss up. I'm having serious issues with taking this PPV serious as they are marketing Lesnar as a WWE Heavyweight Champ.

WWE is acting.

Sylvia is boring to watch and I hope Nogueira handles him and brings some pride back to the PRIDE fighters. If Nog wins you'll have 3 former PRIDE fighters holding belts in the UFC.

I agree I dont like the way they are hyping Lesnar but I think they are just trying to capture the WWE audience (it is working.......right rocky?).

How did I know you would throw something out there about pride :). I think the heavyweight division is awful right now. The UFC needs to figure something out.