cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Holy Disney World! Polls show Romney surging (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16158)

myboynoah 01-23-2008 07:07 PM

Holy Disney World! Polls show Romney surging

Latest InsiderAdvantage poll has Romney up 5, coming on the heels of the Rasmussen Poll showing the same thing Monday. Rudy's support holding steady and McCain may be losing ground.

The Intrade Quotes are trending Romney's way as well.

Who let the dog out, who, who, who, who, who.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...imary-260.html

jay santos 01-23-2008 07:15 PM

And this is before Thompson dropped out. Thompson had 12% in latest Rasmussen Florida poll. I've heard numbers as high as 60% for Romney as far as who Thompson backers will choose.

Let's be a little conservative and say that 12% will go:

Romney 4%
McCain 2%
Guliani 2%
Huckabee 4%

That increases Romney over McCain a little more

Then with Huck tanking in Florida, you break up another 8% for Huck:

Romney 4%
McCain 2%
Guliani 2%

And Romney increases it more.

So I'm thinking even if Romney was dead tied with McCain before Thompson drops out and Huck stops campaigning in FL that Romney has best chance to win. Ahead five plus Thompson and Huck residual seems very promising.

McCain is benefitting now because the conservative vote is so fragmented. As (or if) it becomes more consolidated, Romney's chances increase greatly.

myboynoah 01-23-2008 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 177270)
McCain is benefitting now because the conservative vote is so fragmented. As (or if) it becomes more consolidated, Romney's chances increase greatly.

I think you're right about that. I thought it interesting that Thompson didn't endorse McCain, opting to hold his support for someone at a later time. He's obviously hoping to be a VP nominee, as are a lot of people around here. Frankly, I'd prefer a much more "active" VP candidate.

Apparently Huckabee is out of money with some staff working for nothing and others quitting.

MikeWaters 01-23-2008 07:22 PM

Hitchens has an article asking why the media gave Huck a free pass on his statement implying support for the Confederate flag.

Huck is starting to lose his mind, appealing to the bubba vote.

YOhio 01-23-2008 07:28 PM

When I saw the title of this thread I was certain DJRoss was the creator. Alas myboynoah is showing himself to be the true Romney girl.

myboynoah 01-23-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 177275)
When I saw the title of this thread I was certain DJRoss was the creator. Alas myboynoah is showing himself to be the true Romney girl.

You're just sore that you threw your keys on stage at the last Obama rally and Oprah's makeup boy showed up later that night with a fifth of JD and a rubber chicken.

The call of the tribe is intoxicating.

SeattleUte 01-23-2008 07:56 PM

Is Giuliani hurting McCain in Florida?

myboynoah 01-23-2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 177281)
Is Giuliani hurting McCain in Florida?

Or visa versa?

I think they are going after the same voters: moderate Repubs and those concerned about security.

SeattleUte 01-23-2008 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 177282)
Or visa versa?

I think they are going after the same voters: moderate Repubs and those concerned about security.

That may give Romney a short term advantage. If Giuliani loses in Florida he won't be around for long. Could McCain benefit even if Romney won if Giuliani lost?

myboynoah 01-23-2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 177283)
That may give Romney a short term advantage. If Giuliani loses in Florida he won't be around for long. Could McCain benefit even if Romney won if Giuliani lost?

I would think Rudy is gone if he doesn't win, so yes, it would probably benefit McCain going forward to Super Tuesday. I think McCain would probably still mainstain support in the NE, like Pennsylvania, NY, NJ, and Conn. I've heard that Huckabee is out of Florida concentrating on certain ST southern states (Georgia, Tenn), so that could challenge Romney there. So, while Romeny would have the momentum, he still faces some challenges. But Romney has the money, if that matters.