cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Outdoor / Scouting / Survival (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   I'm gonna catch me a bass tomorrow (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15812)

MikeWaters 01-11-2008 06:30 PM

I'm gonna catch me a bass tomorrow

I'm going fishing tomorrow with my new rod and reel. I bought a little lure as well.

I've fished many times with my dad. He's had various lures. But he's never been a "lure fisherman", nor has he ever caught a bass.

In all that time, I have never, ever caught anything with a lure. Not once. Everything I have caught has been with live bait.

I'm hoping to break the streak tomorrow.

Will also be putting my new Marlin semi-auto .22 through the paces. I specifically bought it to take on campouts, as I am tired of paying for more expensive ammo for the boys.

Jeff Lebowski 01-11-2008 06:49 PM

Mike, you should bust open the piggy bank and buy a few more lures. You will probably need more than one. Get some jigs, some topwaters, some crankbaits. The guys at the sporting goods store will set you up.

MikeWaters 01-11-2008 06:50 PM

No time today, unfortunately.

I have to clean the rifle before I leave.

SteelBlue 01-11-2008 07:16 PM

I haven't fished in years, but my "go to" lure was the Rooster Tail. My second favorite was the Panther Martin. Those were 2 good lures that worked just about anywhere I went.

I never could catch anything with those bass plugs. I used to catch bass with those cheap little jigs with the plastic bodies that you could replace.

FMCoug 01-11-2008 07:28 PM

What lake?

MikeWaters 01-11-2008 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 173617)
What lake?

Very small lake/pond at the private property we camp at.

I'm waiting to go "real bass fishing" when you invite me on your boat.

Which reminds me....we went up to near Yellowstone and stayed in Farrah's grandpa's cabin. Her grandpa likes to fish. We went to this reservoir. He has a boat but didn't bring it from his home. And so we see wave after wave of boats with HUGE fish. And we are on the shore and don't get a single bit. Not anyone.

"I should have brought the boat" he says.

"YES YOU SHOULD #$*#(ING SHOULD HAVE!!!!" (said in mind).

Surfah 01-11-2008 10:20 PM

I grew up a half mile from Castaic Lake. I used to fish there every afternoon until I got old enough to have to buy a license. I'd walk to the lower lagoon with my rod and tackle box. Good times.

Castaic Lake is one of the best bass fishing lakes in the world. Caught my fair share there.

cougjunkie 01-12-2008 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 173584)
No time today, unfortunately.

I have to clean the rifle before I leave.

Just go with a glow and the dark worm. Works everytime.

TripletDaddy 01-12-2008 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfah33 (Post 173686)
I grew up a half mile from Castaic Lake. I used to fish there every afternoon until I got old enough to have to buy a license. I'd walk to the lower lagoon with my rod and tackle box. Good times.

Castaic Lake is one of the best bass fishing lakes in the world. Caught my fair share there.

Is this lake in SoCal? For some reason, I have memories of getting our rowing and canoeing merit badges out at Castaic. If it is the same one I am thinking of, that is a really cool place.

Venkman 01-12-2008 02:32 AM

Good luck Mike. Hopefully you'll be able to say to Farrah, "I caught you a delicious bass."