cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   A A F L: All American Football League (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15389)

BarbaraGordon 12-29-2007 03:55 AM

A A F L: All American Football League

Have you guys heard of this? It's a new pro football league specifically aimed at college football fans. Games are in the spring. Scheduled to start this year with six teams, mostly in the south. The league intends for players to graduate from their school, then (assuming they're not NFL caliber) stay and play for the local team, making 50-100k per year. The familiar player names then pull in the local college football fans in the off-season. Tix are expected to start at $15.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but around here people couldn't care much what pro or semi-pro team shows up. It's all about the Sooners. If that attitude is roughly similar elsewhere, I'm wondering if there's any possible way this could be successful.

il Padrino Ute 12-29-2007 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 167850)
Have you guys heard of this? It's a new pro football league specifically aimed at college football fans. Games are in the spring. Scheduled to start this year with six teams, mostly in the south. The league intends for players to graduate from their school, then (assuming they're not NFL caliber) stay and play for the local team, making 50-100k per year. The familiar player names then pull in the local college football fans in the off-season. Tix are expected to start at $15.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but around here people couldn't care much what pro or semi-pro team shows up. It's all about the Sooners. If that attitude is roughly similar elsewhere, I'm wondering if there's any possible way this could be successful.

Well, the USFL, XFL and others are proof that it won't be successful.

God invented spring and summer for baseball.

TripletDaddy 12-29-2007 03:58 AM

Sounds like it will be as successful as the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League.

BarbaraGordon 12-29-2007 04:01 AM

See, that's what I was thinking, but then I was afraid I was just being a cynic.

Archaea 12-29-2007 04:12 AM

Barbara I like your avatar's smile. She competes with seventy one's smile. Her assets are duly noted.

Mormon Red Death 12-29-2007 04:27 AM

Quote:

I'm gonna give it shot.. the games will be broadcast on the local cable access channell so no tv timeouts. We get that people love the sooners but what else are they going to do in Norman OK on April 10th? College bball is over they probably have a 1-a baseball team.... I think it would be cool if Salt Lake had a team of former Utah/byu/utahst/unlv/boise st/wyoming/colo st players. It wouldn't interfere with the buzz much and they could play at real salt lake's stadium (probably sell more tickets than the the real salt lakers will/do

il Padrino Ute 12-29-2007 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death (Post 167864)
I'm gonna give it shot.. the games will be broadcast on the local cable access channell so no tv timeouts. We get that people love the sooners but what else are they going to do in Norman OK on April 10th? College bball is over they probably have a 1-a baseball team.... I think it would be cool if Salt Lake had a team of former Utah/byu/utahst/unlv/boise st/wyoming/colo st players. It wouldn't interfere with the buzz much and they could play at real salt lake's stadium (probably sell more tickets than the the real salt lakers will/do

Salt Lake does have a team like that. It's called the Blaze of the indoor league.

Mormon Red Death 12-29-2007 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 167868)
Salt Lake does have a team like that. It's called the Blaze of the indoor league.

Arena football.... The 50 yard war!

il Padrino Ute 12-29-2007 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death (Post 167870)
Arena football.... The 50 yard war!

That's right. It's called Arena, not indoor. I've yet to find a reason to go to a game, though I understand that it is a lot of fun.

Frank Ryan 12-29-2007 05:06 AM

Quote:

sounds like your ex-sooners would have to take a pay reduction