cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Romney's strategy is easy to see and somewhat understandable (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14504)

SeattleUte 11-30-2007 08:04 PM

Romney's strategy is easy to see and somewhat understandable

Romney knows gun and Bible totin' Republicans are scared of Giuliani, the anti-gun Catholic Italian agnostic from New York City with the lisp. But many of them still support Giuliani simply because they're more scared of Muslims (these people's world view is all about paranoia and nativism, see Tex), and they perceive Giuliani as the guy who's going to competently show the Muslims what for.

Romney wants to out-hawk Giuliani. He thinks that if he can it'll be check mate. And he figures that if meanwhile he pisses off Waters, Cali and SeattleUte that's fine becuase we aren't going to be annointing the Republican nominee anyway.

We saw a glimpse of what's going on in Romney's head when he even went off topic to say that Guantanamo is such a wonderful thing and those Arabs don't deserve lawyers, then making a gratuitous left cut against the ACLU.

He's about the most cynical candidate I've ever seen. It's so easy to tell Romney thinks this whole process is just pure bullshit and he's gaming it.

No one knows better than Romney what asses are the masses.

Tex 11-30-2007 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 157568)
He thinks that if he can it'll be check mate. And he figures that if meanwhile he pisses off Waters, Cali and SeattleUte that's fine becuase we aren't going to be annointing the Republican nominee anyway ...

... or voting Republican in the national election.

Archaea 11-30-2007 08:18 PM

Quote:

Romney knows gun and Bible totin' Republicans are scared of Giuliani, the anti-gun Catholic Italian agnostic from New York City with the lisp. But many of them still support Giuliani simply because they're more scared of Muslims (these people's world view is all about paranoia and nativism, see Tex), and they perceive Giuliani as the guy who's going to competently show the Muslims what for.

Romney wants to out-hawk Giuliani. He thinks that if he can it'll be check mate. And he figures that if meanwhile he pisses off Waters, Cali and SeattleUte that's fine becuase we aren't going to be annointing the Republican nominee anyway.

We saw a glimpse of what's going on in Romney's head when he even went off topic to say that Guantanamo is such a wonderful thing and those Arabs don't deserve lawyers, then making a gratuitous left cut against the ACLU.

He's about the most cynical candidate I've ever seen. It's so easy to tell Romney thinks this whole process is just pure bullshit and he's gaming it.

And that's why I don't think Romney is as dumb as you and Waters believe. You guys actually believe in the system isn't rigged or gamed.

creekster 11-30-2007 08:26 PM

Quote:

I agree that Romney looked bad in that response. I was offended by the swipe at the ACLU (even though I don't particualrly care for it all the time, Ijust thought it was so transparent).

SeattleUte 11-30-2007 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 157597)
I agree that Romney looked bad in that response. I was offended by the swipe at the ACLU (even though I don't particualrly care for it all the time, Ijust thought it was so transparent).

Maybe Romney isn't such an unschooled ass as he's making himself out to be right now. Maybe he's just playing the game, playing to the asses, oops masses. Maybe he really is appalled by waterboarding. Who knows what he really thinks? Mabye he's appalled by nothing, believes in nothing. Maybe Romney is the right's Bill Clinton--Ivy League educated, smart, charming, absent convictions or principles.

Maybe he will win. Maybe he won't be such a bad president.

MikeWaters 11-30-2007 08:34 PM

The swipe against the ACLU was very 80s-ish. Like he is trying to win the nomination against Dukakis. I was surprised he couldn't throwing something in about flag burning and gay marriage as well.

il Padrino Ute 12-01-2007 03:10 AM

Is Romney different than any other politician?