cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Professional Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Fantastic finish to the Rockies/Padres game (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12348)

JohnnyLingo 10-02-2007 04:26 AM

Fantastic finish to the Rockies/Padres game

I never watch baseball before October, but playoff games are often fantastic drama.

What a finish.

il Padrino Ute 10-02-2007 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo (Post 130168)
I never watch baseball before October, but playoff games are often fantastic drama.

What a finish.

You miss out on lots of games like this one by not watching during the season.

Granted, the drama is larger in post season, but there are lots of great games throughout the season.

livecoug 10-02-2007 04:37 AM

Dude didn't touch the plate, but hey, what a game!

il Padrino Ute 10-02-2007 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by livecoug (Post 130173)
Dude didn't touch the plate, but hey, what a game!

If the umpire says he's safe, he's safe.

I'm glad there is no replay in baseball, as it takes the human element out of the sport. And I'm not even a Rockies fan.

RockyBalboa 10-02-2007 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 130176)
If the umpire says he's safe, he's safe.

I'm glad there is no replay in baseball, as it takes the human element out of the sport. And I'm not even a Rockies fan.

If OJ says he's innocent, he's innocent. ;)

I could care less who won, but why ruin a 164 games (163+ the wildcard play in game) a team has played off of one bad season ending call? The non-chalant...well if he say's hes safe then he's safe irrational viewpoint cracks me up.

jay santos 10-02-2007 02:20 PM

Great finish. I also never watch much baseball before October. But playoff baseball is fun.

Baseball and football have an important element right that soccer and basketball don't. The right number of scoring. Baseball and FB have about 4-6 scores per team per game. Soccer has 0-2 and basketball has about 50. If soccer (international--I could never go for MLS) had two or three times as much scoring it would become my next favorite sport after football.

RockyBalboa 10-02-2007 02:23 PM

I wonder why a fan, coach, player, whoever...isn't interested in getting things right when it comes to the use of instant replay.

I've heard the complaint that instant replay slows down baseball,,,which of course is hilarious because baseball ALREADY is the slowest of the 4 major sports and coincidentally is also the only one that doesn't use a countdown clock to finish it's games.

Getting it right is key to preserving the integrity of the game, which considering how much fire and bad image shots the sport has taken..could use all the goodwill and P.R. it could get right now.

DrumNFeather 10-02-2007 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 130216)
I wonder why a fan, coach, player, whoever...isn't interested in getting things right when it comes to the use of instant replay.

I've heard the complaint that instant replay slows down baseball,,,which of course is hilarious because baseball ALREADY is the slowest of the 4 major sports and coincidentally is also the only one that doesn't use a countdown clock to finish it's games.

Getting it right is key to preserving the integrity of the game, which considering how much fire and bad image shots the sport has taken..could use all the goodwill and P.R. it could get right now.

For example, if a play that Nomar was involved in was in question, and he was at the plate, you could have the review cued up and done in the 5 minutes it takes him to re adjust his gloves.

jay santos 10-02-2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 130216)

Baseball should be the easiest of all sports to officiate. You could easily replay all the close calls. You could create some kind of automatic strike/ball calls with laser. Why not do it?

RockyBalboa 10-02-2007 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 130223)
Baseball should be the easiest of all sports to officiate. You could easily replay all the close calls. You could create some kind of automatic strike/ball calls with laser. Why not do it?

Because you'll find that baseball traditionalists are by far the most irrational and condescending of any major sports fans out there and the thought of instant replay is horrifying to them no matter how much sense it makes.