cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness and Wellness (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Ran a "fun run" tonight of 4.5 miles (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10539)

SteelBlue 08-01-2007 03:31 AM

Ran a "fun run" tonight of 4.5 miles

Temperature at start of race? 104 degrees. Twas brutal, but I accomplished my goal of pacing myself for all 4 miles. I tend to go out WAY too fast and suffer the last couple of miles. With my nano, I was able to know that I went out WAY too fast (6:30) and correct it to 8:00/miles immediately. A nice run overall despite the brutal temperature.

Archaea 08-01-2007 05:05 AM

fantastic.

I wish I could regain my speed. Right now I suck. Congrats on a good run.

SteelBlue 08-01-2007 05:12 AM

Just saw the results online. Looks like my ipod was a bit off as I averaged an 8:21/mile. Oh well, there's always next week. I still felt great and now I know I can pick it up from there.

bluegoose 08-01-2007 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 108485)
Just saw the results online. Looks like my ipod was a bit off as I averaged an 8:21/mile. Oh well, there's always next week. I still felt great and now I know I can pick it up from there.

Mrs. Bluegoose's ipod said she was going slower than she thought as well. I wonder how accurate their distance was.

SteelBlue 08-01-2007 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 108699)
Mrs. Bluegoose's ipod said she was going slower than she thought as well. I wonder how accurate their distance was.

I think their distance was off by a tenth or more. Tough to say but I'm fairly certain I was going faster thatn 8:21.

bluegoose 08-01-2007 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 108741)
I think their distance was off by a tenth or more. Tough to say but I'm fairly certain I was going faster thatn 8:21.

I'm certain you were going at least 1 minute per mile fast than that. Something was definitely broken.

SteelBlue 08-01-2007 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 108766)
I'm certain you were going at least 1 minute per mile fast than that. Something was definitely broken.

Let's not get carried away now.

SteelBlue 08-08-2007 03:38 AM

Tonight was race #2 in this 6 week series of fun runs. The course was 4 miles and was brutal for me. It was very hilly and I honestly wanted to die a couple of times. I brought my 13 year old son (the swimmer) and he beat me. I was closing in on him with about a quarter mile to go and I'm enough of a jerk that I'd have blown right past him to beat him if I could. But he snuck a glance back, saw me, and shifted gears. I didn't close the gap anymore after that. I'm proud of the kid. Not sure what my average pace was, but with the hills I'm sure it was in the high 8's somewhere. Still waiting for the results to come in online.

MikeWaters 08-08-2007 03:50 AM

congrats on the run. my mom has started doing the local time trial and the emailed results next to her (last-place) time was "first in with a basket".

When your TT bike has a basket, don't expect great results from that rider.

Runner Coug 08-08-2007 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 110694)
I brought my 13 year old son (the swimmer) and he beat me. I'm proud of the kid.

When I was finishing up the Salt Lake Half Marathon this year, just as I turned to go into Gateway for the finish, some kid, couldn't have been more than 12, comes past me. It took every last ounce of energy in my body to pass him, but I managed to with about 50 yds. to spare. I'm really not ready to accept that there are pre-teens out there who can kick my butt. :(