cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Are LDS people that support gay marriage (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23593)

NorCal Cat 10-14-2008 02:46 AM

Are LDS people that support gay marriage

sustaining the first presidency, and the twelve apostles? I am serious. If we vote to sustain them in this capacity, doesn't that include following their counsel on an issue they obviously feel is very important?

ERCougar 10-14-2008 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Cat (Post 278851)
sustaining the first presidency, and the twelve apostles? I am serious. If we vote to sustain them in this capacity, doesn't that include following their counsel on an issue they obviously feel is very important?

Wow....I've never thought of it that way before. Thanks for coming back.

NorCal Cat 10-14-2008 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERCougar (Post 278858)
Wow....I've never thought of it that way before. Thanks for coming back.

Anyone have any serious responses?

Don't get too excited. I doubt I will be back for long. It was actually quite nice not reading the bullshit here for a while.

danimal 10-14-2008 02:57 AM

Quote:

Your post has the usual grammatical markers of a legitimate question yet none of the substance.

CardiacCoug 10-14-2008 03:07 AM

Quote:

The Church has not added any questions concerning gay marriage to the temple recommend questions. They could start asking about it immediately if they considered it a core doctrine of the Church. Thus, I must conclude that they do not require a member to support gay marriage bans in order to remain a member of the Church in good standing.

This is a political question. You don't have to support a legal ban on abortion, either, as far as I know. Why don't they add this to the temple recommend questions? Probably because they respect the right of the individual member to disagree with Church leadership on this issue.

NorCal Cat 10-20-2008 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danimal (Post 278860)
Your post has the usual grammatical markers of a legitimate question yet none of the substance.

Why don't you just answer the question?

NorCal Cat 10-20-2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardiacCoug (Post 278866)
The Church has not added any questions concerning gay marriage to the temple recommend questions. They could start asking about it immediately if they considered it a core doctrine of the Church. Thus, I must conclude that they do not require a member to support gay marriage bans in order to remain a member of the Church in good standing.

This is a political question. You don't have to support a legal ban on abortion, either, as far as I know. Why don't they add this to the temple recommend questions? Probably because they respect the right of the individual member to disagree with Church leadership on this issue.

Wrong, the brethren have clearly stated this is not a political issue, but a moral issue.

Does anyone honestly think the First Pres, and the Quorum of the Twelve have NOT prayed about this issue, and what they should tell the members? Obviously they have, and their directions are clear. Therefore, how can anyone who claims to sustain these men as prophets, be in favor of gay marriage? It makes no sense.

Archaea 10-20-2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Cat (Post 281800)
Wrong, the brethren have clearly stated this is not a political issue, but a moral issue.

Does anyone honestly think the First Pres, and the Quorum of the Twelve have NOT prayed about this issue, and what they should tell the members? Obviously they have, and their directions are clear. Therefore, how can anyone who claims to sustain these men as prophets, be in favor of gay marriage? It makes no sense.

I don't know what they've done about it. However, I am straight and will forever seek heterosexual companionship.

What goes on in California is of little concern of mine. If gays wish to be miserable like straights, why not let them.

Levin 10-20-2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Cat (Post 281800)

I don't think you know what it means to "be in favor of gay marriage." Many people may oppose gay marriage on a religious level -- they think God does not condone it -- but that in our pluralistic, democratic society, gay marriage should be respected as a civil right.

It is the same with abortion: many believe God does not condone it -- even forbids it -- but that in our democratic, free society, it is not the place of the State to forbid it and strip a woman of her agency in that regard, no matter the choices she made that resulted in her pregnancy.

BTW, I fully intend to have light-hearted moments in my next Sacrament meeting talk. Do I sustain the Brethren there?

Jeff Lebowski 10-20-2008 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 281824)
What goes on in California is of little concern of mine. If gays wish to be miserable like straights, why not let them.

That's not inspiring either.