cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   What should this site be? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Where did the name come from? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23431)

Solon 10-08-2008 03:43 PM

Where did the name come from?

I know the basic backstory of this site, and I've gone back through the archives and read some early posts, but I'm still curious about how the name "cougarguard" was chosen.

What's the story?

[I placed this query in this category because, while not a commentary on what this site should be, it's a question about what it is, its origins and intentions.]

MikeWaters 10-08-2008 03:51 PM

It was chosen, in part, to eliminate people who can't spell "guard".

Cali Coug 10-08-2008 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 276689)
It was chosen, in part, to eliminate people who can't spell "guard".

Maybe you should have called it CougarObama to eliminate people who can't spell Obama. Looking at you, exie.

il Padrino Ute 10-08-2008 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 276701)
Maybe you should have called it CougarObama to eliminate people who can't spell Obama. Looking at you, exie.

You don't think exie is spelling it that way intentionally?

Cali Coug 10-08-2008 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 276782)

This is exie we are talking about. But regardless, I don't think he is capable of spelling it any differently, so it seems win-win to me.

il Padrino Ute 10-08-2008 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 276813)
This is exie we are talking about. But regardless, I don't think he is capable of spelling it any differently, so it seems win-win to me.

:)

I can see that.

BarbaraGordon 10-08-2008 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 276782)

In that case, yes, but that wouldn't explain Barrak.

il Padrino Ute 10-08-2008 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 276821)
In that case, yes, but that wouldn't explain Barrak.

I can't give him that much credit.

MikeWaters 10-09-2008 05:47 AM

Milan Kundera has argued that trying to force or coax explanation of art from the artist is a kind of oppression, as is going against the artist's will when it comes to what is expressed and how it is expressed.

Take heed.

Levin 10-09-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 277201)
Milan Kundera has argued that trying to force or coax explanation of art from the artist is a kind of oppression, as is going against the artist's will when it comes to what is expressed and how it is expressed.

Take heed.

That's some pretty controlling ideology: Don't make me tell you what my art means; don't try to guess what my art means. Don't speak to me and be quiet about my art.