cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Outdoor / Scouting / Survival (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   philmont plans (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9394)

MikeWaters 06-25-2007 06:20 PM

philmont plans

I'm not in charge of the older boys philmont preparation, but the YM president, who was, is going on vacation for a month, and now tells me I'm in charge.

And then the guy from our ward who has been set to go for nine months, just bailed today, 1 month from when the boys are leaving.

And oh yeah, there is no transportation lined up.

FUBAR. (or YUBAR, as I would say on cougarboard).

Two things I will not do:
1. go to philmont (that is two weeks vacation on top of the one week I already used for summer camp)
2. drive them to philmont (see above about vacation time)

What a mess.

We are the guest ward for another ward. And they haven't nailed down an adult leader either (though they swear it will be one of two people).

Nice.

MikeWaters 06-25-2007 09:26 PM

Hey Mike, that really sucks that you got saddled with all of that, and that that dude flaked out and put the whole thing in major jeapordy.

You're a great scout leader. I know you'll make it work somehow. Hang in there bud.

cougjunkie 06-25-2007 10:06 PM

mike why dont you nut up and go yourself. Magnify your calling for once.

Jeff Lebowski 06-25-2007 10:25 PM

Yikes. I hate it when these things happen. On the one hand, you would be perfectly blameless to say "Forget it, I have paid my dues already this summer." On the other hands, you hate to see the boys miss Philmont. It's not their fault that leader A is a flake. Tough call.

There is a handful of men in our ward who always flake out like this. ALWAYS. I never count on them for anything. Just prior to our Moab trip a few weeks ago I was talking to Sister Lebowski and I said, "I wonder when Brother X is going to let me know he can't make it." About 15 minutes later, Brother X called and told me that his wife was sick and he couldn't make it after all.

MikeWaters 06-26-2007 12:14 AM

we have a guy like this also. problem was he used to be the scoutmaster. And he would cancel campouts at the last minute. he's very helpful and supportive, but I always put an asterisk next to his offer. Something is bound to come up.

If my work would give me 2 extra weeks vacation, I would go. But the state has no "scouting" time carve-out. Imagine that.

bluegoose 06-26-2007 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 93914)
But the state has no "scouting" time carve-out. Imagine that.

Ask Zulu to go. The military has provisions for just this sort of thing.

il Padrino Ute 06-30-2007 04:39 AM

There is no shame in letting the leader that wussed out know that he is a weasel and that it is only for the sake of the boys that you don't pound him into oblivion. And there is yet less shame to tell the boys what's going on.

I'd also talk to your Bishop and tell him exactly how you feel about the situation.

MikeWaters 06-30-2007 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 95971)
There is no shame in letting the leader that wussed out know that he is a weasel and that it is only for the sake of the boys that you don't pound him into oblivion. And there is yet less shame to tell the boys what's going on.

I'd also talk to your Bishop and tell him exactly how you feel about the situation.

The guy who weaseled out is the EQ president and the Bishop's son.

He's a good guy. But he let us down.

Haven't been able to find anyone so far, despite diligent calling.

il Padrino Ute 06-30-2007 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 95993)
The guy who weaseled out is the EQ president and the Bishop's son.

He's a good guy. But he let us down.

Haven't been able to find anyone so far, despite diligent calling.

Well then, you could question your Bishop's parenting skills, couldn't you? :D

MikeWaters 07-12-2007 07:34 PM

Looks like things have worked out.

Thank goodness. I wish I could be a fly on the wall during their trip. They have one troublemaker going, so it should be interesting.