cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Hall has first year starter lockonitis (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12788)

Archaea 10-14-2007 10:21 PM

Hall has first year starter lockonitis

He had receivers open but locked on to his primary receiver and really had his first bad, bad game. Glad our line made it good for Unga and Tonga.

MikeWaters 10-14-2007 10:23 PM

Anae seems to have zero misdirection plays and screens in the playbook. It's kind of scary. This doesn't help Hall.

Anae is ok. But he's not going to be getting any HC offers anytime soon.

MikeWaters 10-14-2007 10:27 PM

It seems like WRs don't exist in this offense. It's either the check down or the TE in the middle of the field. It's like watching a very bad version of Romo.

I think Hall will be special, but he's obviously got a ways to go. Luckily he plays in a terrible conference, and plays for fans who don't expect to beat BCS in non-conf. so he will be just fine.

woot 10-14-2007 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 135838)
Anae seems to have zero misdirection plays and screens in the playbook. It's kind of scary. This doesn't help Hall.

This continues to worry me. I'm excited that he seems to have figured out that running our gigantic backs on these cutesy draw-traps isn't playing to their strengths, but I still find the blocking schemes and our complete lack of misdirection plays to be very troubling. Even our receiver routes seems to be pretty pedestrian and predictable, so I hope that he is just keeping the play book closed for the benefit of the young talent.

Anae's offense can certainly be very effective when he's got really good players, but the ability to adjust when your players are underperforming seems to be the mark of a great coach, and the lack of misdirection and poor blocking is liable to get Hall killed.

Cali Coug 10-14-2007 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 135838)

I can't understand the lack of screen plays in our offense. I don't believe I have seen a single screen yet this year, even when facing teams that are blitzing on virtually every down. I think the total lack of screen plays almost caused us to lose to Utah last year when they were blitzing every down. BYU only won when Utah went into the prevent defense.

BYU must have plays in the system that take into account relentless pressure. The screen is a must-have play for such situations. I just can't understand why it has been totally absent.

Hall ran the first bootleg play against UNLV that I have seen all year. It was incomplete, and he didn't look great on the throw. I wonder if he struggles with throwing on the run (so they don't call the plays) or if he struggled because he never practices throwing on the run.

non sequitur 10-14-2007 10:47 PM

Why is Anae taking heat? We got 400+ yards in offense, and only punted once the entire game. That means that we either scored or turned the ball over every time we had the ball. I think Anae did a great job. UNLV decided to take out our WR's , so we ran the ball up up their ass. It was a sloppy game, but that had nothing to do with Robert Anae.

MikeWaters 10-14-2007 10:48 PM

Texas Tech runs a WR screen to Crabtree. That kid is just a freshman man is he incredible. This is his line for the year:

2007 78 1244 15.9 75 17

17 touchdowns, 78 receptions, 1244 yards. In 7 games.

Maybe Anae needs to go back to Texas Tech and sign up for a coach's clinic.

MikeWaters 10-14-2007 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by non sequitur (Post 135845)
Why is Anae taking heat? We got 400+ yards in offense, and only punted once the entire game. That means that we either scored or turned the ball over every time we had the ball. I think Anae did a great job. UNLV decided to take out our WR's , so we ran the ball up up their ass. It was a sloppy game, but that had nothing to do with Robert Anae.

No one is worried about Anae eing offered a HC job. That tells you all you need to know.

Cali Coug 10-14-2007 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by non sequitur (Post 135845)

I am much happier with the play calling against UNLV than I have been against most teams we have played. He targeted their weakness to perfection. I just can't figure out why there isn't a screen play when Hall continues to get pummeled on blitzes.

MikeWaters 10-14-2007 11:19 PM

I can't think of a single time this year that the thought occurred to me "we are winning because of our coaching." I have had the opposite thought. "we are losing because of our coaching."

this season represents yoeman's work on the part of the coaches. nothing special there.