cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   mastershake has retired (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11700)

Frank Ryan 09-11-2007 03:39 AM

mastershake has retired

Hey guys Mastershake is now Frank Ryan.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force has has turned stale and I've had that handle for awhile.

So I decided to switch it up.

Thanks Mike.

Jeff Lebowski 09-11-2007 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Ryan (Post 122131)
Hey guys Mastershake is now Frank Ryan.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force has has turned stale and I've had that handle for awhile.

So I decided to switch it up.

Thanks Mike.

Any story behind the "Frank Ryan" moniker? Is this the smart football player?

Frank Ryan 09-11-2007 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 122142)
Any story behind the "Frank Ryan" moniker? Is this the smart football player?

He was an Irish nationalist who led the Irish contingent during the Spanish Civil War.

The Pogues sing about him a little bit.

il Padrino Ute 09-11-2007 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Ryan (Post 122145)
He was an Irish nationalist who led the Irish contingent during the Spanish Civil War.

The Pogues sing about him a little bit.

The Pogues are one of my favorites. Kids today who are fans of Flogging Molly and other like bands don't understand that they owe thanks to Shane and Co.

Frank Ryan 09-11-2007 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 122157)
The Pogues are one of my favorites. Kids today who are fans of Flogging Molly and other like bands don't understand that they owe thanks to Shane and Co.

IPU, this alone makes you one of the greatest utes ever.

Flogging Molly totally plagiarized and watered-down the Pogues sound.

The Pogues are coming out with a 3 or 4 cd box set of previously unreleased or really hard to get material. I'm excited for that.

il Padrino Ute 09-11-2007 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Ryan (Post 122163)
IPU, this alone makes you one of the greatest utes ever.

Flogging Molly totally plagiarized and watered-down the Pogues sound.

The Pogues are coming out with a 3 or 4 cd box set of previously unreleased or really hard to get material. I'm excited for that.

I'm going to have to buy that box set too. Thanks for the heads up.

And to be fair, the Pogues owe thanks to bands like The Dubliners for paving the way. Take a look:

Frank Ryan 09-11-2007 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 122166)
I'm going to have to buy that box set too. Thanks for the heads up.

And to be fair, the Pogues owe thanks to bands like The Dubliners for paving the way. Take a look:

no doubt about it. the pogues and dubliners put out a cd ep together.

the Pogues, and I guess I must admit FM have been very good for Irish trad bands

they also owe a lot to Elvis Costello, who helped them refine their sound, and the Clash who took them on their first tour

il Padrino Ute 09-11-2007 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Ryan (Post 122168)
no doubt about it. the pogues and dubliners put out a cd ep together.

the Pogues, and I guess I must admit FM have been very good for Irish trad bands

they also owe a lot to Elvis Costello, who helped them refine their sound, and the Clash who took them on their first tour

Have you ever seen them in concert? I did once back in '88 in New York. Great show.

Frank Ryan 09-11-2007 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 122176)
Have you ever seen them in concert? I did once back in '88 in New York. Great show.

I saw them last year in Las Vegas. It was fun- because I'm Pogues fan. Shane could barely stand up and had to be propped up by the Mic stand. They are supposedly coming again but Phil Chevron is seriously ill.

I wish I could have seen them in their heyday.

il Padrino Ute 09-11-2007 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Ryan (Post 122177)
I saw them last year in Las Vegas. It was fun- because I'm Pogues fan. Shane could barely stand up and had to be propped up by the Mic stand. They are supposedly coming again but Phil Chevron is seriously ill.

I wish I could have seen them in their heyday.

It was great fun to see them back then.

That Shane could barely stand isn't a surprise. The dude downed a bottle of whiskey during the show I saw. Substance abuse has really taken a toll on the guy. Didn't know that about Phil. I hope he can get better, but if not, their music will still be played at my house.