cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Powell's rationale - "...ability to inspire..." (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23793)

Ma'ake 10-19-2008 01:56 PM

Powell's rationale - "...ability to inspire..."

People bag on Obama's talent for rhetoric, but the nation needs a leader who can inspire.

I would think those on the other side of the fence would feel a bit more comfortable with a voice like Powell in an Obama cabinet.

Powell for Sec of State - that's my call.

T Blue 10-19-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ma'ake (Post 281374)
People bag on Obama's talent for rhetoric, but the nation needs a leader who can inspire.

I would think those on the other side of the fence would feel a bit more comfortable with a voice like Powell in an Obama cabinet.

Yeah the man inspires me to go take a shit.

Give the guy 4 years and if any of his great inspired ideas get put thru that will be all, America cannot afford Obahma.

Hopefully average joe plumber american is smart enough to realize that the media is declaring obahma the winner so they won't actually go cast a vote, heaven help us if obahma is president.

Cali Coug 10-19-2008 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T Blue (Post 281377)
Yeah the man inspires me to go take a shit.

See- that is fantastic! The man inspires you to be full of less crap than you were a minute ago. That truly is transformational!

Cali Coug 10-19-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

This is a big get for Obama. I have always been an admirer of Powell; in fact, I would have voted for him if he ran in 2000 or 2004 (but alas...). I am a bit disappointed in his silence on his disagreement with the Iraq war. He clearly was not on board with what the administration was doing, and clearly felt like the administration was being deceptive and tunnel-visioned, but he still went before the UN and still helped bang the drum for war. It was his job, but I think his duty was greater than his job, and I feel he neglected his duty. That said, he remains a remarkable man with remarkable accomplishments, and I could be open to the idea of him serving in a capacity like Secretary of State (though I don't think he wants it).

exUte 10-19-2008 05:07 PM

C'mon, you believe that?

Quote:

He's supporting Oh..blah..blah..blah..blah..bama because he wants to see an African American make history. He's even said that would be great. Forget all the other reasons he is spewing in public.

Inspire with more entitlements and taxes and weaker defense? What kind of inspiration is that?

Cali Coug 10-19-2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exUte (Post 281399)
He's supporting Oh..blah..blah..blah..blah..bama because he wants to see an African American make history. He's even said that would be great. Forget all the other reasons he is spewing in public.

Inspire with more entitlements and taxes and weaker defense? What kind of inspiration is that?

And you support McCain because he is white. Right? I mean, let's be consistent here.

exUte 10-19-2008 07:02 PM

Sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 281401)
And you support McCain because he is white. Right? I mean, let's be consistent here.

But then I would support Michael Steele .... but not because he's black.

UtahDan 10-19-2008 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 281385)
See- that is fantastic! The man inspires you to be full of less crap than you were a minute ago. That truly is transformational!

10 points to Cali!

UtahDan 10-19-2008 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 281386)
He clearly was not on board with what the administration was doing, and clearly felt like the administration was being deceptive and tunnel-visioned, but he still went before the UN and still helped bang the drum for war.

I can see why you are having a tough time resolving this. On the one hand, he is a moderate who is a big get for Obama. On the other hand, if you are part of the "Bush lied" crowd there are only two choices: Powell is a liar himself or Powell is willing to lie for others. If he thought they were being deceptive and passed on that message lending his name and gravitas to the lie then he is utterly without honor. He should have resigned.

I think all he is guilty of is the same poor judgment and lack of foresight that the administration is guilty of. But from the viewpoint of the typical Obama supporter some real mental gymnastics are required to forgive him for the sins of the Bush administration.

Cali Coug 10-19-2008 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 281441)
I can see why you are having a tough time resolving this. On the one hand, he is a moderate who is a big get for Obama. On the other hand, if you are part of the "Bush lied" crowd there are only two choices: Powell is a liar himself or Powell is willing to lie for others. If he thought they were being deceptive and passed on that message lending his name and gravitas to the lie then he is utterly without honor. He should have resigned.

I think all he is guilty of is the same poor judgment and lack of foresight that the administration is guilty of. But from the viewpoint of the typical Obama supporter some real mental gymnastics are required to forgive him for the sins of the Bush administration.

More or less. Some of the strongest evidence that Bush was deceptive about our intelligence comes from Powell and the State Department. It is hard for me to accept, given all we know, that Powell shouldn't have resigned (a "noisy withdrawal"), or gone to Congress with his dissent. I have a hard time getting past it. It is a blemish on an otherwise stellar record of public service.