cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Does evil exist? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8550)

JohnnyLingo 05-23-2007 09:58 PM

Does evil exist?

Requiem in another thread got me thinking. Do you believe evil exists?

I know moral relativism is the way to go in today's world.

What is your definition of evil? Does it exist? If it does, is there a way to combat it?

The Borg 05-23-2007 10:12 PM

Yes. Combat it?...I think you know the answer to that one.

Black Diamond Bay 05-23-2007 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo (Post 84265)

What is your definition of evil? Does it exist? If it does, is there a way to combat it?

Opposition in all things.

Requiem 05-23-2007 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo (Post 84265)

Before the philosophers in residence instruct us about evil, I find this definition from the Catholic Encyclopedia interesting:

With regard to the nature of evil, it should be observed that evil is of three kinds -- physical, moral, and metaphysical. Physical evil includes all that causes harm to man, whether by bodily injury, by thwarting his natural desires, or by preventing the full development of his powers, either in the order of nature directly, or through the various social conditions under which mankind naturally exists. Physical evils directly due to nature are sickness, accident, death, etc. Poverty, oppression, and some forms of disease are instances of evil arising from imperfect social organization. Mental suffering, such as anxiety, disappointment, and remorse, and the limitation of intelligence which prevents humans beings from attaining to the full comprehension of their environment, are congenital forms of evil each vary in character and degree according to natural disposition and social circumstances.

Physical evil is easy to understand. Moral and metaphysical evil falls into the relative category...

BlueHair 05-24-2007 02:11 AM

I think evil exists. It exists in the thoughts and actions of men. I don't believe there are hosts of demons placing those thoughts in our heads. Humans are plenty capable of evil without supernatural influences.

BarbaraGordon 05-24-2007 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 84318)
I think evil exists. It exists in the thoughts and actions of men. I don't believe there are hosts of demons placing those thoughts in our heads. Humans are plenty capable of evil without supernatural influences.

Devil inside, devil inside, every single one of us, the devil inside.

Oh, wait, that should probably go in the music forum. :)

Archaea 05-24-2007 03:20 AM

Evil exists, just examine the world.

In what forms, well the Catholic dictionary's definition is relatively good.

As to form of unseen spirits exist to do battle against us, how should I know, they are unseen. Nonetheless, men do enough evil without their help and I myself am subject to the forces of evil.my own.

myboynoah 05-24-2007 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 84320)

Nice, BatGirl, nice.

But that does date you.

BlueHair 05-24-2007 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 84320)

Great song. We must be close in age. I'm no spring chicken, but I'm not as old as some of the old farts on this board. Yes, Il Padrino, I'm talking about you!

il Padrino Ute 05-24-2007 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 84376)
Great song. We must be close in age. I'm no spring chicken, but I'm not as old as some of the old farts on this board. Yes, Il Padrino, I'm talking about you!

Ouch!

I don't act my age.....I mean, I don't feel old. :)

And yes, that is a great song.