cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness and Wellness (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   I signed up to play on my buddy's soccer team (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18237)

Runner Coug 04-03-2008 07:26 PM

I signed up to play on my buddy's soccer team

I don't know why.

I hate soccer. I don't watch it, and the last time I played it was probably 6th grade recess.

They're going to regret asking me to play, I don't even know the rules.

MikeWaters 04-03-2008 07:47 PM

all you have to know is which way the ball needs to be kicked.

ThatSportsFan 04-03-2008 07:56 PM

Just don't get hurt, as you know it would be a bad time to get hurt before the Relay.

Runner Coug 04-03-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatSportsFan (Post 204766)
Just don't get hurt, as you know it would be a bad time to get hurt before the Relay.

The only injury I see possible is my team beating me with their fists after I lose them yet another game.

MikeWaters 04-03-2008 08:07 PM

actually soccer is much more dangerous than basketball, IMO.

Slide tackles, heads colliding, etc.

Runner Coug 04-03-2008 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 204776)
actually soccer is much more dangerous than basketball, IMO.

Slide tackles, heads colliding, etc.

In this league you can't leave your feet. Of course, a lot of good that rule will do me after some doofus has taken out my knee. But I think the league is geared more toward the wannabe crowd, such as myself.

MikeWaters 04-03-2008 08:17 PM

never go for contested headers. I learned this the hard way.

bluegoose 04-03-2008 08:51 PM

In our local paper this morning there was an update on a HS kid who broke his neck and almost died after having someone run into him when he was playing goalie. I guess he slid down to get the ball while some other player was also sliding for the ball. He took a knee to the neck and fractured it fairly high in the C Spine from what I understand.

bluegoose 04-03-2008 08:53 PM

I've got a patient right now that snapped his Achilles tendon chasing a ball playing adult league soccer. He was a weekend warrior who was once in great shape, but had really let himself go and had no business playing competitively.

SteelBlue 04-03-2008 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 204795)
In our local paper this morning there was an update on a HS kid who broke his neck and almost died after having someone run into him when he was playing goalie. I guess he slid down to get the ball while some other player was also sliding for the ball. He took a knee to the neck and fractured it fairly high in the C Spine from what I understand.

Is he a quad now? I'd think I would have seen him if he was and I've never heard this story.