cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Hawaiin BBQ (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16292)

Venkman 01-28-2008 06:25 PM

Hawaiin BBQ

So I was in Maui a few weeks ago and fell in love with those Hawaiin plate lunches - a little teriyaki steak, rice and macaroni salad. Freaking great stuff, ate it every day. Any good places in Salt Lake?

TripletDaddy 01-28-2008 06:30 PM

Dude. Foodland does steak wednesdays over there. huge bbqs out in the parking lot. you pay about $7 and you get a huge serving of teri beef, mac salad, rice, and soda. I could go for that right about now.

Surfah 01-28-2008 06:46 PM

Sweets in Provo is good. There used to be another place down by Provo Town Centre that I used to frequent that is no longer there anymore. Little Grass Shack closed down a long time ago but I used to hit them up quite a bit too.

There's a Hawaiian BBQ place on State St in SLC up around 1000 south or so that is pretty good. They have guava cake that is ono. And when all else fails L&L on 4th south in SLC and down in Provo is good grinds.

Flystripper 01-28-2008 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkman (Post 178943)
So I was in Maui a few weeks ago and fell in love with those Hawaiin plate lunches - a little teriyaki steak, rice and macaroni salad. Freaking great stuff, ate it every day. Any good places in Salt Lake?

as long as you add this I am down

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...uce.jpg/300px-

Venkman 01-28-2008 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfah33 (Post 178957)
Sweets in Provo is good. There used to be another place down by Provo Town Centre that I used to frequent that is no longer there anymore. Little Grass Shack closed down a long time ago but I used to hit them up quite a bit too.

There's a Hawaiian BBQ place on State St in SLC up around 1000 south or so that is pretty good. They have guava cake that is ono. And when all else fails L&L on 4th south in SLC and down in Provo is good grinds.

L&L in SL, good to know. One of the places we hit was the L&L in the Lahaina Mall food court. Best food court meal I've ever had. I'll have to check out the others. Thanks.

il Padrino Ute 01-28-2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkman (Post 178943)

There is a great little kiosk at every Ute game in RES. It's my favorite food at the stadium. Season tickets are reasonably priced, so should I put you down for three? Four?

Let me know.

mpfunk 01-28-2008 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 179006)
There is a great little kiosk at every Ute game in RES. It's my favorite food at the stadium. Season tickets are reasonably priced, so should I put you down for three? Four?

Let me know.

I think you are ignoring the spicy corn dog from Cowboy Corn Dogs. That is clearly the best stadium food at RES.

cougjunkie 01-28-2008 10:35 PM

Here are a few to check out in order of best tasting:

1. Matiki Island BBQ off of 400 north and State in Orem behind Wienerschnitzel, best Hawaiian BBQ in the state and its not close.

2. Sweets in Provo behind the DI. Very good as well but not quite as good as Matikis.

3. L&L- more of a chain but a very good chain

4. New Bamboo hut- by movies 8 in provo, this used to be an old shack across from provo high and then moved down by the Provo Town Centre Mall before closing down for a few years. The old Bamboo hut was bar none the best in the state, they were only open from 11-2 and the line was also 30+ minutes long but well worth it. The New bamboo hut is good but not nearly as good as the old one.

Surfah 01-28-2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 179064)
Here are a few to check out in order of best tasting:

1. Matiki Island BBQ off of 400 north and State in Orem behind Wienerschnitzel, best Hawaiian BBQ in the state and its not close.

2. Sweets in Provo behind the DI. Very good as well but not quite as good as Matikis.

3. L&L- more of a chain but a very good chain

4. New Bamboo hut- by movies 8 in provo, this used to be an old shack across from provo high and then moved down by the Provo Town Centre Mall before closing down for a few years. The old Bamboo hut was bar none the best in the state, they were only open from 11-2 and the line was also 30+ minutes long but well worth it. The New bamboo hut is good but not nearly as good as the old one.

Bamboo Hut was the bomb when it was open. That's the place I was thinking of. Cafeteria lunch line style set up from what I remember. I took my father there when he came out for the olympics.

I make a mean katsu and teri beef and chicken. Mac salad to boot too. In fact that's what made my wife fall in love with me.

Next time I am in P-town I'll have to check out Matiki's. How long has it been open?

TripletDaddy 01-28-2008 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfah33 (Post 179068)
Bamboo Hut was the bomb when it was open. That's the place I was thinking of. Cafeteria lunch line style set up from what I remember. I took my father there when he came out for the olympics.

I make a mean katsu and teri beef and chicken. Mac salad to boot too. In fact that's what made my wife fall in love with me.

Next time I am in P-town I'll have to check out Matiki's. How long has it been open?

Dude, if you can make that stuff, Id fall in love with you, too.

Can you make that panipopo stuff? the dessert bread covered in coconut milk?

what about manapua? YUM!