cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   I love this time of year (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11183)

Jeff Lebowski 08-24-2007 05:40 PM

I love this time of year

Fresh peaches and blackberries to go with breakfast everyday. Fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, and squash for dinner. Our tomato plants went nuts this year.

Anyone else enjoying some home produce?

MikeWaters 08-24-2007 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 116642)
Fresh peaches and blackberries to go with breakfast everyday. Fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, and squash for dinner. Our tomato plants went nuts this year.

Anyone else enjoying some home produce?

I had so many plums I think I killed my tree. but that was a while ago. I hope it didn't die (it currently has no leaves).

il Padrino Ute 08-24-2007 05:44 PM

Yep. The tomatoes, cucumbers and squash in our garden have produced more than we can deal with. Potatoes and carrots too.

I had the fruit trees removed because they were dying and not producing, but we have been overrun by strawberries.

Ain't nothin' better than fresh fuit and veggies.

Venkman 08-24-2007 06:15 PM

Lebowski, give me your address, and I'll enjoy some of your home produce. :)

Planting a garden and fruit trees is on the docket next year at the Venkman household.

BlueHair 08-25-2007 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 116653)
Yep. The tomatoes, cucumbers and squash in our garden have produced more than we can deal with. Potatoes and carrots too.

I had the fruit trees removed because they were dying and not producing, but we have been overrun by strawberries.

Ain't nothin' better than fresh fuit and veggies.

My dad had an apple tree that wasn't producing. His neighbor (an old man) told my dad to beat it with a baseball bat. He took the advice and the tree has been a great producer ever since. The old fella swears by this tactic.

FarrahWaters 08-25-2007 04:43 AM

Thanks to the 30 odd consecutive days of rain we had here, I was upset that I didn't get many vegetables this year. My squash and zucchini plants rotted away, and my tomatoes stayed green forever, until some pest eventually ate them.

il Padrino Ute 08-25-2007 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 116932)
My dad had an apple tree that wasn't producing. His neighbor (an old man) told my dad to beat it with a baseball bat. He took the advice and the tree has been a great producer ever since. The old fella swears by this tactic.

I did this with an apple tree in my parents yard when I was about 8 or so and my parents took the bat away from me. They didn't like me using it for batting practice.

RockyBalboa 08-25-2007 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 116932)

My neighbor across the street is a lifetime biologist and also used to have a landscape chemical development business. He'd go around to peoples yards and put certain chemicals in their grass, plants, gardens, trees to make them flourish. His yard is always the most pristine and lush in the neighborhood.

He also told me about hitting a fruit tree that isn't producing with a baseball bat.

Did it with an apple and apricot tree and strange enough the next year we had more fruit coming off the branches than we knew what to do with.