cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Japanese food v. Chinese food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9470)

YOhio 06-28-2007 02:00 AM

Japanese food v. Chinese food

I love 'em both, but I give a slight edge to Japanese. It's more healthy and I love Japanese steakhouses.

BarbaraGordon 06-28-2007 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 95084)
I love 'em both, but I give a slight edge to Japanese. It's more healthy and I love Japanese steakhouses.

I couldn't have said it better myself. It's a tough call, but I gotta give the edge to Japanese.

Colly Wolly 06-28-2007 02:10 AM

Chinese and it isn't even close.

Jeff Lebowski 06-28-2007 04:30 AM

Come on. That's like asking someone to pick a favorite child.

Due to sushi, I have to go with Japanese. Both both are wonderful.

MikeWaters 06-28-2007 11:57 AM

I'm not eating Chinese food until I have some confidence that every single product isn't adulteratued with industrial chemicals.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062701472.html

nikuman 06-28-2007 12:41 PM

One would think that my opinion on the matter would be obvious, given my moniker, but things are not so simple. I frankly find that a good percentage of the Japanese food over here is a complete waste of calories. I have several specific rules about what I will and will not eat over here, and there are only three or so restaurants in NYC that I will trust to prepare, say, a nice una-don. When in doubt, I'm much more comfortable ordering food from some random place in Chinatown than a Japanese restaurant I'm not comfortable with. This will likely change once I get salmonella from a plate of Beef with Broccoli.

For the record, I don't consider Asian fusion restauarants (such as Nobu) to be true Japanese. I do consider them to be tasty.

On the other hand, I refuse to eat authentic Chinese after my time in China. The actual stuff they eat over there is nothing short of inuguso (lit. dog feces). Oh, the stories I have! And I was eating at formal business dinners - I shudder to think of what the average Wang eats off of the heated barrel on the street.

Disclaimer: I in no way intend the above to reflect my thinking on any race or ethnicity. The opinions above are limited solely to the culinary realm, and any offensive comments found within are the results of your own internal biases.

YOhio 06-28-2007 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikuman (Post 95135)
On the other hand, I refuse to eat authentic Chinese after my time in China. The actual stuff they eat over there is nothing short of inuguso (lit. dog feces). Oh, the stories I have! And I was eating at formal business dinners - I shudder to think of what the average Wang eats off of the heated barrel on the street.

In my experience, formal Chinese food is more bizarre than the everyday stuff. Eating exotic and expensive, albeit disgusting, foods is a way the Chinese upper class can seperate themselves from the peasants. The everyday Chinese food that you buy off the streets is terrific.

nikuman 06-28-2007 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 95136)
In my experience, formal Chinese food is more bizarre than the everyday stuff. Eating exotic and expensive, albeit disgusting, foods is a way the Chinese upper class can seperate themselves from the peasants. The everyday Chinese food that you buy off the streets is terrific.

That actually is a relief. Sounds somewhat like the Douglas Adams concept of Andearan Parakeet Glands - more or less things used by rich idiots to impress other rich idiots.

Jeff Lebowski 06-28-2007 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 95136)

I remember going down a street in Beijing where they were selling scorpions on a stick and grasshoppers on a stick. That was the only thing in China that I just couldn't bring myself to try.

YOhio 06-28-2007 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 95141)
I remember going down a street in Beijing where they were selling scorpions on a stick and grasshoppers on a stick. That was the only thing in China that I just couldn't bring myself to try.

Yeah, I should have added a caveat that you can still find some crazy stuff on the streets.