cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   does anyone know how apostles are selected? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24905)

MikeWaters 12-04-2008 03:50 PM

does anyone know how apostles are selected?

administratively speaking, how do they go about it? Function of the first presidency or president presenting a name to the Q12?

All-American 12-04-2008 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 296690)
administratively speaking, how do they go about it? Function of the first presidency or president presenting a name to the Q12?

The President selects a name, presents it to the presidency and the quorum, who agree to it.

. . . Unless you are President Gordon B. Hinckley, second counselor in the Presidency, and Spencer W. Kimball is not well enough to act in his capacity as President, and you do it yourself. An interesting era.

Tex 12-04-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 296692)
The President selects a name, presents it to the presidency and the quorum, who agree to it.

. . . Unless you are President Gordon B. Hinckley, second counselor in the Presidency, and Spencer W. Kimball is not well enough to act in his capacity as President, and you do it yourself. An interesting era.

I don't recall hearing the back story to this. Is it recorded somewhere?

SoCalCoug 12-04-2008 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 296698)
I don't recall hearing the back story to this. Is it recorded somewhere?

Wasn't the reason Pres. Hinckley called as a counselor to Pres. Kimball because all three members of the first presidency were pretty much incapacitated?

Also, he was first counselor to Pres. Benson for the years Pres. Benson was incapacitated (interesting anecdote - they had trouble keeping nursing help for Pres. Benson because in his dementia, he had a potty mouth, and it was wreaking havoc on the testimonies of the young nurses).

I'd say Pres. Hinckley has been the single most influential church leader since Pres. Mackay.

Cali Coug 12-04-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 296692)

Prior to that, the president typically asks the members of the 12 for names they would suggest. Then he selects a name (which doesn't have to be a name given him by any of the 12) and presents it to the 12.

Tex 12-04-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalCoug (Post 296704)
Wasn't the reason Pres. Hinckley called as a counselor to Pres. Kimball because all three members of the first presidency were pretty much incapacitated?

Yes.

Quote:

Also, he was first counselor to Pres. Benson for the years Pres. Benson was incapacitated (interesting anecdote - they had trouble keeping nursing help for Pres. Benson because in his dementia, he had a potty mouth, and it was wreaking havoc on the testimonies of the young nurses).

I'd love to see the documentation for this as well.

Quote:

I'd say Pres. Hinckley has been the single most influential church leader since Pres. Mackay.

I agree.

ute4ever 12-04-2008 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 296708)

http://newsroom.lds.com/benson...p=29706

SoonerCoug 12-04-2008 11:40 PM

Where did Rick Rolling come from anyway? it's so strange.

SoCalCoug 12-04-2008 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 296708)

You don't believe anything unless it's written down and published, and witnessed, do you?

I have an uncle who had a job that allowed him access to that information during Pres. Benson's dementia. I'm relating what he told me.

I didn't expect you to believe it. It's more for everyone else's benefit, because it's an interesting anecdote.

All-American 12-05-2008 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalCoug (Post 296722)
You don't believe anything unless it's written down and published, and witnessed, do you?

I have an uncle who had a job that allowed him access to that information during Pres. Benson's dementia. I'm relating what he told me.

I didn't expect you to believe it. It's more for everyone else's benefit, because it's an interesting anecdote.

It's fine-- in fact, it may be good that he does that. There's good reason to disregard a lot of those rumors you hear.