cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness and Wellness (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   My body is falling apart (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24210)

bluegoose 11-01-2008 04:34 PM

My body is falling apart

2 weeks to go until my first marathon. Ever since my 16 mile run about 4 weeks ago, I seem to be falling apart at all major joints. Shin splints, foot pain, hip flexor strain, low back pain, and probably a couple others that I can't think of right now.

Plus my average pace has drastically dropped in the past 3 or 4 weeks. Whereas I was previously able to run comfortably at sub 8:00 pace for 13 miles, today I struggled to do 11 miles at 8:30 pace. My left hip tightened up at about 3 miles and stayed that way for the rest of the run.

This isn't exactly the way that I pictured my training to go. I hate running.

BarbaraGordon 11-01-2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 287763)
2 weeks to go until my first marathon. Ever since my 16 mile run about 4 weeks ago, I seem to be falling apart at all major joints. Shin splints, foot pain, hip flexor strain, low back pain, and probably a couple others that I can't think of right now.

Plus my average pace has drastically dropped in the past 3 or 4 weeks. Whereas I was previously able to run comfortably at sub 8:00 pace for 13 miles, today I struggled to do 11 miles at 8:30 pace. My left hip tightened up at about 3 miles and stayed that way for the rest of the run.

This isn't exactly the way that I pictured my training to go. I hate running.

My B-I-L ran his first one this year, and this was exactly what happened to him. He was super frustrated by the time the race came around. But he saw a PT to get loosened up the day before the race, then he hopped up on tylenol pre-race, and he still had a very respectable run for a first marathon.

Archaea 11-01-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 287774)
My B-I-L ran his first one this year, and this was exactly what happened to him. He was super frustrated by the time the race came around. But he saw a PT to get loosened up the day before the race, then he hopped up on tylenol pre-race, and he still had a very respectable run for a first marathon.

It is a common experience, as you're pushing the body past its natural glycogen limits, and breaking the body down, until you retrain it and the cellular level.

It is very common and requires more rest than most employ to run their first marathons.

Runner Coug 11-01-2008 11:57 PM

Are you starting your taper now? That will help with some of those issues.

bluegoose 11-02-2008 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 287887)
Are you starting your taper now? That will help with some of those issues.

20 miles last saturday, 11 today. I was supposed to do 13, but my hip felt so tight and sore I just was not up to another 2 miles when I passed by the car at mile 11.

This week has two 5-6 milers scheduled, followed by 8-10 next saturday.

I hope you're right.

Runner Coug 11-02-2008 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 287889)
20 miles last saturday, 11 today. I was supposed to do 13, but my hip felt so tight and sore I just was not up to another 2 miles when I passed by the car at mile 11.

This week has two 5-6 milers scheduled, followed by 8-10 next saturday.

I hope you're right.

Have you been doing any slow recovery runs, or has everything been at or below race pace?

RC Vikings 11-02-2008 03:42 AM

Have you ever seen anybody running smiling? Sounds like it's time to get back on the bike.

Runner Coug 11-02-2008 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC Vikings (Post 288074)
Have you ever seen anybody running smiling?

http://www.elitefeet.com/wp-content/...ing-winter.jpg

BarbaraGordon 11-02-2008 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC Vikings (Post 288074)
Have you ever seen anybody running smiling? Sounds like it's time to get back on the bike.

I've seen a couple people who look like they're having a blast when they run, but I always figured they must be masochists.

RC Vikings 11-02-2008 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 288132)

Runner you must have smoked them in this race. It looks like you really had your weight down.

I wish I could run but I've got a knee that swells up to the size of a grapefruit if I run around the block.