cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   My money is on Utah to beat the line (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24781)

SeattleUte 11-19-2008 11:04 PM

My money is on Utah to beat the line

I realize, from the feel of my palsied fingers as I type this, that I'm a little superstitious. Imagine that. Me of all people. But I soldier on. Telling myself that surely this post could not affect the outcome of the game. Here's why I think Utah wins by more than six and a half.

--Superior defense. I think seven out of ten times the better defense carries the day. Utah held TCU scoreless for 51 minutes.

--Utah's offense is super athletic and diverse. It's also a lot better than Utah or BYU fans give it credit for. Brian Johnson has a dazzling array of weapons in his backfield and receiving corps, and BJ is a tough cookie. Admittely, BYU has the brighter stars on offense.

--Utah has the home field. This means less when the schools are geographically so close. But it is an edge to Utah.

--Whittingham the motivator. I've never seen a coach who can affect his players' mental and emotional state like Whit. Utah held TCU scoreless for 51 minutes after trailing 10-0 after nine minutes.

--Psychological factors are even. Utah has no reason not to totally fear and respect BYU. These past few weeks are the only games I can think of since the BYU-New Mexico basketball game in 1978 I've rooted for BYU. Yes, I want the Utes to have as great a BCS qualifying resume as possible. But I didn't want BYU to have a nothing to lose attitude going in. In some ways, it's the Utes who go in as the chip on the shoulder upstarts. But the stakes are high as Everest for each team and coach.

Archaea 11-19-2008 11:16 PM

I predict Utah wins by ten to fourteen points, but I hope to have egg on my face, with BYU claiming magic one more time.

SoCalCoug 11-19-2008 11:59 PM

I predict BYU to win a close one. Because I have lived in a world where Utah beats BYU, and I prefer not to go there anymore.

Burning Bright 11-20-2008 01:41 AM

BYU 42 Utah 7

A shutout is ruined by an interception returned for a TD during BYUs first drive.

Coach McGuirk 11-20-2008 02:11 AM

I wrote on our scoreboard at work, Utah 38 BYU 28.

Man I hope I am wrong.

Archaea 11-20-2008 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk (Post 295809)

Man I hope I am wrong.

Utah 42 BYU 28

exUte 11-20-2008 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk (Post 295809)

Man I hope I am wrong.

Looks about right. I can't believe people are predicting a BYU loss. I though we out recruited Utah every year and our coaches were better. And throw in some magic.....

These predictions are stunning.

Clark Addison 11-20-2008 11:40 AM

BYU by two touchdowns.

Aren't there any BYU fans left on this site?

Kilgore Trout 11-20-2008 05:20 PM

Pesimists are only in for pleasant surprises.

BYU 24
Utah 30

Black Diamond Bay 11-20-2008 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 295812)
Utah 42 BYU 28

You should never predict defeat for our boys.