cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Being on the wrong side of history (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19827)

SoonerCoug 05-30-2008 10:17 PM

Being on the wrong side of history

How many times is the Church going to be on the wrong side of history?

The Church has been wrong on the key civil rights issues of the 20th century: dead wrong on equal rights for women and dead wrong on civil rights for blacks. And now the Church is on the wrong side of the gay marriage issue. If it doesn't seem disgraceful now, it will seem that way 30 years from now.

If marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God, and marriage between two men or two women is not ordained of God, then why can't the Church simply maintain that position without fighting legal recognition of gay marriage.

I fail to see how allowing gays to be legally married could affect LDS theology. Roe v. wade didn't force the Church to accept abortion (not that abortion is the moral equivalent of gay marriage). Besides, gay couples ALREADY refer to themselves as "married," so what's the big deal?? Is the main fear that gays will be accepted by society?

I think the Church is afraid that it will be a slippery slope to allowing gay marriage in the temple, but that fear seems irrational to me.

creekster 05-30-2008 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudphudCoug (Post 226956)

The Church has been wrong on the key civil rights issues of the 20th century: dead wrong on equal rights for women and dead wrong on civil rights for blacks. And now the Church is on the wrong side of the gay marriage issue. If it doesn't seem disgraceful now, it will seem that way 30 years from now.

If marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God, and marriage between two men or two women is not ordained of God, then why can't the Church simply maintain that position without fighting legal recognition of gay marriage.

I fail to see how allowing gays to be legally marriage could affect LDS theology. Roe v. wade didn't force the Church to accept abortion (not that abortion is the moral equivalent of gay marriage). Besides, gay couples ALREADY refer to themselves as "married," so what's the big deal?? Is the main fear that gays will be accepted by society?

I think the Church is afraid that it will be a slippery slope to allowing gay marriage in the temple, but that fear seems irrational to me.

One quibble off the top: The church was not wrong about equal rights for women. It opposed the ERA, which was not adopted and has not been adopted. It supported other rights for women. It also was not opposed to civil rights for blacks, unless you think it is a civil right to have the priesthood, and I doubt you do. If you have something else in mind, spell it out.

Tex 05-30-2008 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudphudCoug (Post 226956)

I fail to see how allowing gays to be legally married could affect LDS theology. Roe v. wade didn't force the Church to accept abortion (not that abortion is the moral equivalent of gay marriage). Besides, gay couples ALREADY refer to themselves as "married," so what's the big deal?? Is the main fear that gays will be accepted by society?

Mudphud = Sooner.

Ok, now I see it.

SoonerCoug 05-30-2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 226958)
One quibble off the top: The church was not wrong about equal rights for women. It opposed the ERA, which was not adopted and has not been adopted. It supported other rights for women.

Opposition to the ERA is not the same as opposition to equal rights for women? Maybe you're right. Can you explain to me why the ERA is a bad thing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 226958)
It also was not opposed to civil rights for blacks, unless you think it is a civil right to have the priesthood, and I doubt you do. If you have something else in mind, spell it out.

An apostle writing a letter to a governor urging him to oppose civil rights for blacks doesn't count?

Goatnapper'96 05-30-2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudphudCoug (Post 226971)
An apostle writing a letter to a governor urging him to oppose civil rights for blacks doesn't count?

Not for defining the Church as against Civil Rights. If you had said we have members, even high members in the priesthood hierarchy, opposed to civil rights it would have been accurate.

SoonerCoug 05-30-2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 226974)
Not for defining the Church as against Civil Rights. If you had said we have members, even high members in the priesthood hierarchy, opposed to civil rights it would have been accurate.

OK. Point taken. I guess the Church was doing everything possible to look racist without actually taking racist positions with regard to the law.

I still think that the Church is wrong on the gay marriage issue.

Goatnapper'96 05-30-2008 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudphudCoug (Post 226976)
OK. Point taken. I guess the Church was doing everything possible to look racist without actually taking racist positions with regard to the law.

I still think that the Church is wrong on the gay marriage issue.

I know a hell of a lot of racists who support civil rights.

SoonerCoug 05-30-2008 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 226977)
I know a hell of a lot of racists who support civil rights.

Yeah, I didn't differentiate between those things very well. My bad.

Question: Did the Church vocally support civil rights for blacks? If so, then they were on the right side on this issue. If not, then they were on the wrong side. That's my opinion.

And I still think that the Church is wrong on the gay marriage issue.

creekster 05-30-2008 10:50 PM

On the ERA. There is a lawsuit in California right now seeking to hold a professional sports team liable for vilating a California equality staute by virtue of giving out free gifts to women on Mother's day to the exclusion of men. Would you like to constitutionalize this sort of litigation?

SoonerCoug 05-30-2008 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 226980)
On the ERA. There is a lawsuit in California right now seeking to hold a professional sports team liable for vilating a California equality staute by virtue of giving out free gifts to women on Mother's day to the exclusion of men. Would you like to constitutionalize this sort of litigation?

No I wouldn't. Another point for Creekster.

I still think the Church is wrong on the gay marriage issue.