cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Salt Lake italian food (top 11) (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9387)

UteStar 06-25-2007 04:27 PM

Salt Lake italian food (top 11)

Here is my list of ranking Salt Lake City italian restaurants (locally owned and chains):

1. Biaggis (Gateway): Large dining area, nice atmosphere. I really liked their spaghetti and I will say that I have more than enjoyed all of the other meals that I have eaten here. Yes, it is a chain and I am embarrassed to have it here, but I really like it.

2. Trio (Old Mill and down on 6th South and 9th east). Trendy restaurant with limited seating downtown, but a lot of room at the Old Mill.

3. Tuccis (Trolley Square). Nice atmosphere and good food. I really enjoyed their caesar salad but their calzones and their spaghettis are all very tasty as well. Service has always been very good here.

4. Cafe Molise (downtown). Fantastic setting with in and outdoor seating. One of just a couple of these restaurants that has bigger city feel to it. The gnocchi is very good.

5. Baci (downtown). Good food, good ambiance. I have liked the chicken dishes here.

6. Canellas (next door to the library): Nice atmosphere and pretty good food. The chicken alfredo is very nice.

7. Cinnegrill (downtown). This is kind of a celebrity hotspot that has been downtown for decades (at diff locations though). Cinnegrill is known for its italian salads and they are well worth it. The rest of the food is good, though not amazing but it makes up for it with a side salad or a bigger salad.

8. Al Fornos (downtown). I had heard people rave about it...I liked it, I just won't rave about it. Just about average spaghetti and overall, to me, slightly above average food.

9. Spaghetti Factory (Trolley Square): Decent prices (though pricing goes up, it seems every 6 months) and average food. It is a good place if you are bringing your kids...average or less if you are going out for the night with the wife.

10. Buca de Beppos (downtown). I had heard a lot about this place for a while and all I found was mediocre food, over the top decorations in the place, etc. I was not too impressed and the place was loud and a little obnoxious to me.

11. Marcaroni Grill (downtown). Average. I went once and probably won't go back again.

Other: Faustinas: (located near downtown). Not really an italian restaurant, but I will put it here because they had an absolutely terrific lasagna dinner that I would gladly go back and have more of. Trendy place.

The Pie (at the U). I love the Pie, but I didn't really list it with the others because though I do not always get the pizza, 95% of the time I do, so I consider it not so much as an italian place, but more as a terrific greasy pizza place.

Granatos (by Olympus High School). Not really a restaurant but absolutely terrific italian sandwiches.

I did not list Olive Garden for easily understood reasons.

YOhio 06-25-2007 04:37 PM

My favorite is Luke's. It's the only one that feels like a mafia restaurant.

http://utah.citysearch.com/profile/10376557/

YOhio 06-25-2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UteStar (Post 93670)
5. Baci (downtown). Good food, good ambiance. I have liked the chicken dishes here.

Bacci closed. There's a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in it's stead.

mpfunk 06-25-2007 04:50 PM

Quote:

9. Spaghetti Factory (Trolley Square): Decent prices (though pricing goes up, it seems every 6 months) and average food. It is a good place if you are bringing your kids...average or less if you are going out for the night with the wife.

The Spaghetti Factory is only good if you like food without taste.

ute4ever 06-25-2007 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 93677)

Ah yes, out in Glendale, where you can feed a family for $10.

Years ago there was a place called Ciao in a strip mall in Sandy that my g/f and I loved. I don't know if it is still around though.

SeattleUte 06-26-2007 04:31 AM

Quote:

Here is my list of ranking Salt Lake City italian restaurants (locally owned and chains):

1. Biaggis (Gateway): Large dining area, nice atmosphere. I really liked their spaghetti and I will say that I have more than enjoyed all of the other meals that I have eaten here. Yes, it is a chain and I am embarrassed to have it here, but I really like it.

2. Trio (Old Mill and down on 6th South and 9th east). Trendy restaurant with limited seating downtown, but a lot of room at the Old Mill.

3. Tuccis (Trolley Square). Nice atmosphere and good food. I really enjoyed their caesar salad but their calzones and their spaghettis are all very tasty as well. Service has always been very good here.

4. Cafe Molise (downtown). Fantastic setting with in and outdoor seating. One of just a couple of these restaurants that has bigger city feel to it. The gnocchi is very good.

6. Canellas (next door to the library): Nice atmosphere and pretty good food. The chicken alfredo is very nice.

7. Cinnegrill (downtown). This is kind of a celebrity hotspot that has been downtown for decades (at diff locations though). Cinnegrill is known for its italian salads and they are well worth it. The rest of the food is good, though not amazing but it makes up for it with a side salad or a bigger salad.

8. Al Fornos (downtown). I had heard people rave about it...I liked it, I just won't rave about it. Just about average spaghetti and overall, to me, slightly above average food.

10. Buca de Beppos (downtown). I had heard a lot about this place for a while and all I found was mediocre food, over the top decorations in the place, etc. I was not too impressed and the place was loud and a little obnoxious to me.

11. Marcaroni Grill (downtown). Average. I went once and probably won't go back again.

Other: Faustinas: (located near downtown). Not really an italian restaurant, but I will put it here because they had an absolutely terrific lasagna dinner that I would gladly go back and have more of. Trendy place.

The Pie (at the U). I love the Pie, but I didn't really list it with the others because though I do not always get the pizza, 95% of the time I do, so I consider it not so much as an italian place, but more as a terrific greasy pizza place.

Granatos (by Olympus High School). Not really a restaurant but absolutely terrific italian sandwiches.

I did not list Olive Garden for easily understood reasons.

This list is a horrifying condemnation of SLC Italian food.

Jeff Lebowski 06-26-2007 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 94008)
This list is a horrifying condemnation of SLC Italian food.

LOL.

I spent five days last week dining in the gaslight district of San Diego. It was heavenly.

fusnik11 06-26-2007 05:07 AM

Italian food, like that made in Italy sucks ass, seriously gross.

As far as Salt Lake, one mustn't leave off Caputo's. Extremely good salads, great sadwiches, and green olives galore.

Biaggi's is quality Italian, interestingly enough their best plate is Pork Chops Al Forno.

BigFatMeanie 06-26-2007 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 93677)

http://utah.citysearch.com/profile/10376557/

Ahh, good old Pukes. Pukes is a classic - every single dish looks and tastes the same no matter what you order. I think they really only make one dish there in back and just serve it up with a different name in order to make it look like they have a big menu.

il Padrino Ute 06-28-2007 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fusnik11 (Post 94020)
Italian food, like that made in Italy sucks ass, seriously gross.

As far as Salt Lake, one mustn't leave off Caputo's. Extremely good salads, great sadwiches, and green olives galore.

Biaggi's is quality Italian, interestingly enough their best plate is Pork Chops Al Forno.

You are an Italian food ignoramus. There is no debating this.

As far as Italian restaurants in SLC, there is only one that is worth visiting and that would be Fresco. It's as close to authentic Italian as we have in Utah.

Again, fusniuk, do yourself a favor and don't ever talk about Italian food again. You have absolutely no credibility. (Kind of tic, but kind of not tic.)