cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Outdoor / Scouting / Survival (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   The 'overweight kid' in the troop (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6679)

8ballrollin 02-20-2007 09:51 PM

The 'overweight kid' in the troop

I took the teacher quorum snowshoeing yesterday up in the Cascades.

It was a medium-level hike, to get them use to the hiking in snowshoes.

We have one young man in the quorum who is fifteen and about 5'8'' 225lbs – none of it muscle.

I always make sure he can participate (called around the ward to find him snow clothes, so he didn't have an excuse not to go) on the outdoor trips. And I don't want him to feel discouraged from going on activities. But he had a brutal day yesterday - and I'm sure he hated it.

Not sure what to do: Our summer activity is a five-day bike ride and I don’t think he can physically do it.

Change the activity? Try to train with him – away from the other boys so he’s not embarrassed?

Thoughts?

YOhio 02-20-2007 10:01 PM

Don't change the activity. I think you should make him do it. Going on that bike ride and developing an exercise habit will change his life in a positive way. He'll have to lose the weight at some point so he can serve a mission, he might as well begin now.

creekster 02-20-2007 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 62057)
Don't change the activity. I think you should make him do it. Going on that bike ride and developing an exercise habit will change his life in a positive way. He'll have to lose the weight at some point so he can serve a mission, he might as well begin now.

Is this true? Are there weight requirements/limits for missionaries?

YOhio 02-20-2007 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 62060)
Is this true? Are there weight requirements/limits for missionaries?

I believe it's up to the discretion of the Stake President. There have been a handful of kids I've had interactions with who have been asked to lose a certain amount of weight prior to submitting their papers. One kid had to lose 40 lbs. (He was easily 240 lbs.) He got called to the Phillipines and came back at 160 lbs.

BigFatMeanie 02-20-2007 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 62063)
I believe it's up to the discretion of the Stake President. There have been a handful of kids I've had interactions with who have been asked to lose a certain amount of weight prior to submitting their papers. One kid had to lose 40 lbs. (He was easily 240 lbs.) He got called to the Phillipines and came back at 160 lbs.

I went to the Philippines at 185 and came back at 135. A steady diet of fish, chicken, and rice coupled with daily bike riding and walking through the jungle will do that for you.

MikeWaters 02-21-2007 12:11 AM

I gained 10-15lb. A steady diet of canned meats and huge helpings of rice will do that to you (no refridgeration)

YOhio 02-21-2007 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 62066)
I went to the Philippines at 185 and came back at 135. A steady diet of fish, chicken, and rice coupled with daily bike riding and walking through the jungle will do that for you.

Wow. Did your family recognize you when you got back?

il Padrino Ute 02-21-2007 02:10 AM

I went to Italy at 185 and came home at 185.

Eating pasta and lots and lots of fresh fruit and walking does that to you.

il Padrino Ute 02-21-2007 02:11 AM

Quote:

So, you were a ScrawnyLittle Meanie back then?

Parrot Head 02-21-2007 03:48 AM

Quote:

Wow, you got me beat. I dropped 42 pounds over the first nine months, but I ate like a horse. One of my comps played football at Ricks and I was out-eating him. But we walked at least 10 miles a day and it was HOT in the deserts of Mexico.

Some guys lost weight, some guys put it on. The hermanas always put it on.